Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System Advise

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hi, thank you for taking the time to read this. Now that I am not working I've always wanted a pretty much home built computer. Since my eyesight and coordination aren't what they used to be I've decided to  purchase a barebones kit with a motherboard, processor etc already installed for me so  all I have to add is RAM, HDD, and so forth which I already have. I am able to choose what components I want to use.

The heaviest uses will be for arranging music (Sony Cakewalk, Band in A Box etc), Downloading and uploading music and photos, and games like Pro Bass Fishing . I also use HGTV home design software but I don't think it uses a lot of system resources. I'm looking for advise as to what to choose. I'm looking to spend $600 to $700. I want something that will last me for a long time.

Thanks in advance

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 07 December 2013 - 09:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

You said you have already purchased a barebones kit?  Which one are you getting?  Also, which components do you already have which you are reusing?  You may be able to get better performance selecting the motherboard, CPU, and case independently instead of a barebones kit.  AMD's A10 APU's may be good if you aren't needing the power in a dedicated "Drop-in" graphics card.

3939.png

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

I haven't purchased anything yet because I don't know enough about motherboards to know what is a good one. I can choose from several mobos, processors, fans, heat sinks, Power supply units etc. I will be adding my own HDD, RAM, sound card, (should the onboard not be sufficient), optical drive. Whatever I select will be installed and shipped to me for me to finish. I am kind of leaning toward this one here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-i7-4770K-Haswell-MSI-Z87-G45-Gaming-16-GB-DDR3-Combo-/111093389182?pt=US_Motherboard_CPU_Combos&hash=item19ddae977e

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 09 December 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

Do you have other parts to use already?  With that you're near the top end of your price range, and don't have a case, power supply, optical drive, or operating system.

As for the sound cards, normally the on board sound is good enough for most people.  On board sound has advanced and a discrete sound card is normally not required.

#5 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

I posted the wrong link. this is what I am probably getting with a few tweaks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/400621793239

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

I don't suggest that PC, the motherboard, though compatible with AM3+ processors, is not ideal as it doesn't use the AMD 900-series chipset which was designed for FX.  That older motherboard is compatible, but lacks some of the features that make FX a good choice.  The graphics on the motherboard are also very, very low end.

Let's strip this down to the basics.  You said you will be using your own hard drive, RAM (Make sure your RAM is DDR3-1600 or better), and sound card (Not really necessary with on-board audio, but add-in cards are often better for audiophiles or people working with music), and optical drive.  You'll certainly save some money reusing components.  This means you will need a case, motherboard, CPU, power supply, and operating system.  Below are some suggestions for components.

Case:  Antec Three Hundred - A simple case.  All you really need is a case, either mid-ATX or full ATX, that is compatible with standard ATX motherboards.  $54

Motherboard:  MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 FM2 AMD A85X - This motherboard is a standard ATX that takes AMD's newer FM2-based APU's.  $99

CPU:  AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz - This is one of AMD's flagship APU's.  These include the graphics and CPU onto one chip.  $139

Power Supply:  CORSAIR CXM series CX500M 500W - Should be more than enough power for this PC.  $70

Grand Total: $464

Other hardware you may need.

RAM:  G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 - In case your current RAM is incompatible.  $79

HDD:  Seagate SV35 Series ST1000VX000 1TB - Should be enough.  If your current drive is older than five years, consider replacing it.  $74

ODD:  LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - A basic drive is all you need.  $17

3939.png

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

Any reason that a manufacturered machine would be out of the question, like and HP or Dell?  The machines you're linking will require you to purchase additional items to make the machine actually work, hard drive, RAM and operating system (OS) for the last one.  From DJBPace07's figures you're looking at another $250 to make the machine bootable, unless you're running a *nix OS, in which cast you still need another $150 worth of parts.

#8 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

I already have HDD, RAM and OS.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

If you are reusing the OS, make sure it is a full, boxed retail copy or an unopened OEM or system builder copy.  This is needed to comply with licensing.  Aside from the caveats I listed above, you can certainly use the HDD and RAM, saving over $100 on hardware.  I generally suggest avoiding the pre-built systems if you are comfortable building your own as their quality is often not very good.

3939.png

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

I already have HDD, RAM and OS.

Is the RAM you have DDR3?  It'll need to be for any current motherboards.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users