Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with upgrading

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 weir45

weir45

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hello guys, my computer is really slow and the usb ports are not working properly. So I decided that it is time for upgrade and I need help with identifying which parts are worth upgrading to make the computer faster. Here is the list of the parts in my current computer:

Motherboard:

Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7528 1.0

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V3.4 10/20/2008

Processor:

2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core

64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)

Memory:

Hark Disk Memory 150 GB

Video card:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT

Operating system:

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

Oh, I thought this piece of information might be useful for you guys.....when I first set up the computer I installed Window Vista and the computer was fine & quick. But then when the computer crashed I took it to the computer shop and they installed window 7. After that my computer wasn't right and its very very slow. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

IMO you'd probably get off cheaper to just build a new system. You didn't specify what kind or how much RAM you have. Often upgrades to a different OS can cause problems. I'd definately go for a 64 bit system to utilize more RAM.

#3 weir45

weir45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:07 AM

Hello,

Sorry about that, my RAM is 4GB.

Any thoughts what I can do about my computer speed?

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

I'd go to a quad or 6 core processor. I'd also get a larger HDD, Windows 7 itself occupies about 125 GBs leaving you without much storage space. I've always found that the fuller an HDD is the slower it will be. If your motherboard supports it I'd add dual channel RAM. With a 32 bit OS, Windows will only support 4 GB RAM, to be able to utilize more RAm i'D UPGRADE TO A 64 bit version.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

Lets hold off on throwing parts at it just yet.  Frankly, anything besides a completely new system would be throwing money away (maybe with the exception of a new video card, but that is not the likely problem).

You have 4 gigs of RAM, and a moderately slow CPU.  First thing I want to find out is why the slowdown.  Go into "Task Manager", find out what your CPU usage is when idle.  Select "Columns" and select "IO writes", and IO Reads"  to check on anything writing/reading from your hard drive constantly.  Main thing is to eliminate any uneccessary background programs slowing your system.  Once you have that in control, and you know what your memory and CPU, and Disk usage is, then you have enough info to figure a fix.  What programs are active, what is your CPU/Mem utilization when your slowdowns occur?

WIN7 should be faster than Vista in almost any case.  At least that has been my  experience with it over the years.  Might be a good idea to go into "Device Manager" and verify there are no problems with drivers (look for the yellow exclamation mark).

Good luck with it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 weir45

weir45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thank you guys, very kind of you all to give me feedback.

BC Advisor, I am away at the moment but will post the results up once I'm back.

A question, do you all think I'm better off completely setting up a new system than modifying it? I imagine the first option is much more expensive?

#7 weir45

weir45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

I'll be honest, I prefer if I modify it as I think starting a me computer is too expensive for me I'm afraid.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

Depending on your uses, the best upgrade for this system is  a SSD upgrade which would make the system much more snappier and responsive.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:42 AM

Upgrades on older hardware tend to cost more. If you can set a reasonable budget, you might be surprised what people can build inside that budget.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

First thing we need to do is set a budget.  How much are you willing to spend?

Second thing we need is a use case.  What exactly are you needing the upgrades for?  General computing?  Games?

BTW, contrary to what the fourth post had in it, Windows 7, and Windows 8 for that matter, does not take up 125GB.  I have a 120GB SSD and WIndows 8 installed with several programs and I still have about 50GB left over on that drive.

3939.png

#11 weir45

weir45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:36 AM

Budget wise for upgrading- £100-£200 which is about $150-$300. I definitely need a new case as mine is broken and the USB ports aren't working.

User case- I'm an occasional gamer who like games such as men of war and total war series. But thats not the main thing really, I want to use it mainly for work and internet.

My computer is OK and shouldn't be this slow with Windows 7. My question is why is it so slow? This is the part I'm trying to find out. 

I'm fairly certain that the computer hasn't got any virus or some sort.

#12 slow72

slow72

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:17 AM

Have you checked your usage as post #5 suggest?  There are many things you can do to optimize Windows 7 to help speed things up.  First you need to make sure there is not something that is dragging your system down.

#13 weir45

weir45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

Have you checked your usage as post #5 suggest?  There are many things you can do to optimize Windows 7 to help speed things up.  First you need to make sure there is not something that is dragging your system down.

No, not yet. I will do that when I'm back home and I'll post results on here.

#14 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

Windows 7 itself occupies about 125 GBs leaving you without much storage space.

Sorry, that's not true.  The minimum system requirements for Windows 7 are only 20GB.  I wouldn't recommend installing on a drive of less than 120GB unless you feel like constantly cleaning off data to make room.  You can get away with 80GB if you don't really plan on using it, like a media PC.  If you plan on installing software and saving data you'll want at least 120GB.

#15 weir45

weir45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Windows 7 itself occupies about 125 GBs leaving you without much storage space.

Sorry, that's not true.  The minimum system requirements for Windows 7 are only 20GB.  I wouldn't recommend installing on a drive of less than 120GB unless you feel like constantly cleaning off data to make room.  You can get away with 80GB if you don't really plan on using it, like a media PC.  If you plan on installing software and saving data you'll want at least 120GB.

On that note, I'm seriously considering converting the computer to media PC if its still slow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users