Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive is not accessable

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 novice3

novice3

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

I have a Dell Latitude D610 and attempting to backup all user data onto DVDs before a clean install of windows, using an external memorex Mutli-Format DVD Recorder, model number MRX-550LE v1.

Windows labels it D:/  even though the internal optical drive (DVD-Rom, CDRW) is labeled E:/.

Thank you for any advice.  Attached to this post, is screenshot's of Windows Easy Transfer wizard popup and drive not accessable popup.

Attached Files

Edited by novice3, 07 December 2013 - 06:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Here is an update on my drive is not accessible dilema:

I downloaded CDBurnerXP from cdburnerxp.se and was able to backup to 5 disks (My documents folder and its contents). 

I am still getting a drive is not accessible popup when trying to burn to dvd through windows with out software.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

I wouldn't worry about the letters assigned to drives - these occasionally change for no obvious reason whatsoever, or at least none I have ever found out.

At least you got your data backed-up. The possibility exists that either (1) your DVD drive didn't like the type of disc you were using, or (2) your built in DVD drive has failed.

DVDs come in four flavours :- -R; +R; -RW and +RW. Some, particularly older, drives cannot use all four varieties and if you were using one it couldn't use, you would get this message.

It is also possible that your DVD drive has died, they can and do because the laser diode gives up. Now that you have CDBurner, it might be worth your while to see if you can burn one of these discs in the built in drive using that. I admit I have no experience of using the Windows burning software, I have always used 3rd Party applications.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. Does anyone know of how to do a fresh install of win xp professional?

I have the dell OS reinstallation disk, but not sure of how to make a drivers disk(backup if dell os cd is missing any drivers).

Thank you for any advice.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

You can use a flash drive to download and save from Dell site the required chipset, video/audio and network drivers. If the optical drive is not working anymore, then you would need to replace it in order to perform a clean installation of Windows XP. Make sure that your product key is ready as the wizard would prompt you on the middle install process.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxpclean1.htm

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/latitude-d610

Tekken

#6 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

The DVD-ROM/CDRW in the latitude reads cd's.

I am not sure how to create a bootable disk that will install the drivers if the windows xp professional cd provided by dell requests it during setup. Unless all drivers for d610 are on the dell os reinstall cd.

Thank you for any advice and for previous responses.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:46 AM

The dell support site is applicable if you have a windows XP full installer (with product or license key sticker) disc. You can save the drivers (see link below) on a usb flash drive or CD to transfer on the newly installed XP hard drive then run first the :step1: chipset :step2: video/vga :step3: Network card.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/latitude-d610

If your disc installer is an OEM or recovery disc with separate drivers, then it is only a matter of reinstall first then using the separate disc for drivers.

Tekken

#8 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:12 AM

Thank you for the advice.

Will I be able to run the Drivers disc in windows?

I downloaded the driver files but they are zip files and win32 apps.  The cd Dell gave me is an OEM disc I think.  The label for the dell cd is: Operating System Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3.  On the label it says this CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:50 AM

The cd Dell gave me is an OEM disc I think.  The label for the dell cd is: Operating System Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3.

Ok, that would be your ticket to a reinstall.

Will I be able to run the Drivers disc in windows?

You need to copy the CD contents to your hard drive before running the drivers (chipset always comes first before anything else).

I downloaded the driver files but they are zip files and win32 apps

That is normal as most files have to be extracted (right-click the file, extract/extract here) to be able to unpack the exe driver.

Tekken

#10 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:39 AM

That is normal as most files have to be extracted (right-click the file, extract/extract here) to be able to unpack the exe driver.

With these extracted files do i need to write them to dvd or can I just extract them when windows boots up for the first time after the clean install?

Please keep in mind that I am attempting a clean install of windows.  Which requires the hard disk drive to be erased during setup.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:07 AM

You can extract them from the newly installed Windows by inserting the CD, open the folder drivers location or copy the whole folder then copy/paste them on your desktop. The zipped files should be extracted once they are copied to your hard drive (desktop or any location you want). Start with the chipset always. You can copy the extracted drivers on a different folder, CD or location if you want a secondary backup.

Tekken

#12 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

Thank you for the quick reply. 

During the setup do I select delete partition?

#13 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

The dell support site is applicable if you have a windows XP full installer (with product or license key sticker) disc

How do I know if its a full installer?

#14 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:14 AM

I reinstalled windows xp professional with a dell oem os reinstallation cd.

The standalone installer for internet explorer spent four hours and didnt complete the installation. Could someone please help me.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

Try this link.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users