Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player Has Become Corrupted (?)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

I'm not sure exactly what the root of this problem is so I'm just going to describe it to you and hope that someone can help me.

I'm running Windows 7 and I have the latest version of Windows Media Player installed. A little while ago, I ripped three CDs into Windows Media Player. The information for these CDs was not on the internet, so I intended to edit the track titles and put the titles in myself. I got to the second album and when I finished editing the title of the CD, suddenly the screen refreshed and the three new albums had disappeared, along with a couple of others that I had added previously. Also, I had deleted the sample albums that were included with Windows Media Player and these appeared again. I clicked on one of them, right-clicked, and selected DELETE. Nothing changed....the album was still displayed. When I attempted to play the album, Windows Media Player gave me a message telling me that the track was not available.

It appears that whatever database Windows Media Player uses suddenly has become corrupted and is no longer useable.

I decided that the best  course of action might be to uninstall Windows Media Player, and then download and install a new copy. However, when I started Control Panel and selected Programs and Features, I could not find Windows Media Player in the list of installed programs.

Does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong here, or have a suggestion on how to get rid of Windows Media Player and reinstall it? i have very few albums in Media Player and if I lose them and have to rip them again, I don't consider it to be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

It sounds like the media libraries have become corrupted.

Ensure that Windows Media Player is closed.
Click Start and type services in the search box. Click on Services.
Locate Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, select it and click on Stop the service.
Click Start and type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player\ in the Search box and hit Enter.
Select all the files in the folder and delete them.
Go back to the Services window and Start the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.
When you next start Windows Media Player it will start automatically rebuilding your media libraries.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

Refer also to advanced tag editor and prevent media information being overwritten from this link.

Tekken

#4 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

dls62,

I tried your procedure for fixing this issue and it worked. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Initially, I had trouble stopping the Service because I was running on my User account, and not as an Administrator account. Once I figured out that I needed to be an Administrator to stop the Service, I changed the account type to Administrator and then I was able to get everything to work correctly. After starting Media Player again, all of the original albums reappeared.

Now it's on to using jhayz's suggestion above to prevent this from happening again.

I'm a Windows user, but I know very little about the "guts" of the operating system. Without people like the two of you, i would never have figured this out, so many thanks for the help.

Bob

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

Thank you also for posting the solution that worked as other WMP users may find this thread helpful Warthog-Fan. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#6 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

jhayz,

I followed your link above to the Microsoft web site and then clicked on the link explaining how to prevent media files from being overwritten. The procedure shown was a little different from my version of WMP. In order to get to the correct function, I had to click TOOLS -> OPTIONS. Then select the Library tab. This showed the window where I could select to only update missing information. However, I decided to go one better and uncheck the box titled RETRIEVE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FROM THE INTERNET. This seemed like it might work better for me because I never download music from the internet - I only add media files that I have created with my Ion devices that convert sound to MP3 files and I update the library information manually. Therefore, I should not need to update the library information from the internet. This may not be the best choice for the average user, but I thought it might be the best for me. If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to say so.

Bob

#7 teevar61

teevar61

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

This idea didn't help me. What else can I try?

When I open windows media player it says it has stopped working and must be closed.

I need help with this.

Thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users