Hello Bleeping Computer,
As I am new here I'll try my best to be as straightforward as possible, so here goes.
A couple of hours ago I was busy installing software from the MS website for a course in college,
it was after this installation that an error popped up claiming it could not start the newly installed software
because a certain .dll was missing from my computer.
Because the process of installing wasn't exactly smooth
(I had to uninstall and reinstall Visio because MS project couldn't be installed with that install of Viso, ... I know
weird stuff) I just dismissed the error and after that, to my surprise, the program started anyway. Not thinking of
it again, I moved on with my day.
A few hours later I decided to reinstall one of my older games, which needed some DirectX runtime I didn't have so
I installed it. As before, just after the installation, I recieved a popup error from the DirectX process claiming it couldn't start
because some .dll was missing... This time I took a screenshot, thinking it was very strange to have two entirely different
processes complain about the same missing .dll, even more suspicious was that the programs started as usual after
dismissing the error popup.
Next thing I do is run a full system scan (I had Avira then, as you can see in the screenshots I switched over to Avast just now),
it came up clean. Again I moved on, but it kept bothering me because as you can see the missing .dll name stated in the error
is strange unicode ramblings, no usual system .dll.
Some time later, I start MPHC (a media player, it's configured with all sorts of tweaks, one of them being the Mad Home Cinema
plugin, process: madHcCtrl.exe) and get the same error popup again, this time from the mad home cinema process as you can
see in the second screenshot.
So there is my story, the following minutes I made an account on this forum knowing it had helped friends in trouble, hoping I would
find the same help.