Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help?: Cannot Update Windows & Firewall Not Working (Error 0x6D9)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 leothefox

leothefox

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

Hi, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit (I think) and I cannot run Windows Updater or switch on Windows Firewall. On a possibly related note, Windows .NET framework refuses to install or work properly on my PC.

Windows Updater: When I attempt to check for updates the updater simply says that the "service is not running" I have been unable to turn the service on by any method I have tried. Whenever I run the inbuilt troubleshooter and recommended Microsoft Fixit files, they merely say they have either fixed the problem or not detected the problem. Sadly, this isn't the case as the problem has not been resolved at all. When I ran the troubleshooter recently, it provided a report which I have attached as a .pdf in the hope it may help lead to a solution.

Windows Firewall: The Firewall says is is 'Not running reccommended settings' and will not restore those recommended settings if I ever click the button to 'fix' the issue. If I open 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security' the program merely states "there was an error opening the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in. The Windows Firewall with advanced security snap-in failed to load. Restart the Windows Firewall service on the computer you are managing. Error Code: 0x6D9

I have seen that these issues have been solved on this forum before without system resets and hope such a solution is possible for my computer.

Thanks for your time,

Joel.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

First of all, welcome to BC !

The firewall and updater problems are very common symptoms of malware infection. Your best bet is to post this problem in the 'Am I infected?' section of BC and get any question of malware resolved before going looking for other possible solutions.

When you post there, include the make and model of your computer, as well as your operating system. If it is self-built, then list the main specs. And be patient !  These people are busy !  And if you are asked to do something which you don't understand, post back to them for clarification.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 leothefox

leothefox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

Righto, I'll do that then.

Thanks for telling me what to do.

I have created a topic in the 'Am I Infected?' section as recommended.

Thanks for your help,

Joel.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Repost in AII, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516764/am-i-infected-cannot-update-windows-firewall-not-working-error-0x6d9/#entry3227468 .

This topic is closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users