Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning about Linux

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

I have looked around but cannot seem to find where I should go to begin learning about Linux from the perspective of the total beginner. At least this way, I won't be bombarding this forum with a lot of silly questions that if I had a tutorial on Linux I might find the answers myself and what I can't find the answer for, post.

Thanks! in advance, any and all comments. suggestions, and directions greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

Doing a quick search for 'Ubuntu for beginners' I saw this....Ubuntu Manual - Home

a comprehensive beginners guide for the Ubuntu operating system. It is written under an open source license and is free for you to download, read, modify and share.

The manual will help you become familiar with everyday tasks such as surfing the web, listening to music and scanning documents. With an emphasis on easy to follow instructions, it is suitable for all levels of experience.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 xendistar

xendistar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

Choose a distribution of Linux and then run it as alive disk (The ubuntu family of distribution is a good starting point) . Most modern distro can be run from a bootable CD\DVD (booting from a USB is also an option), from there you can play and check if things on your PC or Laptop work out of the box or need a bit more tweaking to get them going all this with out breaking the under lying windows installation). You can try various distro's until you find the one you like, once you are happy then you can go ahead and install your preferred distro.

Don't be afraid to ask question, there is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer. Another good source of information is a Linux User group (normally called a lug) don't know where you are but a quick google will help you track a group down if there is one. These can be an invaluable source if information and help especially if they are quite local to you.

#4 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

check this out

http://alinuxblog.wordpress.com/2008/09/15/top_20_linux_websites/

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#5 battyhippie

battyhippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

@buddy215

Already downloaded and am reading away...from what I have been reading, it looks like I am going to have to up the ram in this dinosaur, which was on the agenda anyway, so not an issue...well, except the money, but that is doable...

@xendistar

that is one way...but I have also been reading where you can download a "shell" that can get you started on the feel of Linux...but more than likely I shall go live...with disk

@rburkartjo

Checked out, already, linux.org and linux.com. I do like the feel of linux.org, it seems more the newbie than linux.com ie not quite ready for that site, yet. Still got my work cut out for me...

A Big Thanks! for all the reading and suggestions. This isn't going to be that difficult because I never learned Windows so there is nothing to undo, shall i say? And I don't run any Windows programs such as Office so there is no issue there. The only issues that I see is will my Kodak Easyshare Program work and to hook up my printer, which is a Canon BJC 1000, and of course my DSL. The only question I have so far...what to replace Win Media Player with? And no, I do not need apples.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

One of my cameras is a Kodak. I never attempted to install the easy share in either Windows or Ubuntu. I'm pretty sure it would not

work in Linux. All I do is pop out the flash card, pop it into the reader and download the pics to my photo album....Shotwell...which is the

default photo album for Ubuntu. If you want to share your photos over the internet then there are a few ways to do that with Shotwell.

Scroll down on this link to review....Apps/Shotwell/FAQ - GNOME Wiki!

Your printer will work....mostly....Printer: Canon BJC-1000 | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

VLC and Movie Player should easily replace your WMP. The only times I have reverted to using WMP was while viewing

live broadcasts of state hearings which used WMP or Real exclusively. Even then I could view but not with the same quality in Linux as in Windows.

I would be surprised if Ubuntu did not automatically find and hook into your DSL. I recently changed modem and router and Windows required

some light setting up but Ubuntu didn't. :)

#8 battyhippie

battyhippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

Thanks buddy215...unfortunately I have neither a flash card nor a reader for the camera...hummmm...gonna have to research that one...but the rest look real good...

Back to reading!

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

Once you get a Linux distro installed or even as Live, just plug your camera in just like you do in Windows and it will likely be recognized then all you do

is double click on it and you will be asked whether you want to open Shotwell or not.

#10 battyhippie

battyhippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

Thanks buddy215, I didn't realize that Linux was that much "plug and play"...my brain still functions on the level of DOS...

#11 battyhippie

battyhippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

Got a curve ball thrown at me, my son bought me a new Win8 computer!...so got a few new questions to ask...

a. Now, does it matter which flavour of Linux I try? Or did I just open up the playing field?

b. Should I update to Win8.1? My son's opinion, why not if it's for free and it's not like you are going to use it, but it will be there.

c. What kind of security should I consider for a system that I will more than likely only used for Linux but still have Win on it?

If you are wondering why all the positive about an o/s that I have not even tried yet, my son, who has used Linux in college, believes that I will love it because, please don't laugh, I loved DOS. And hey, reading some of the code I recognized and old friend...C...and cursing that I did not become better versed in it.

Now please be patient, it will be more than likely towards the new year that I will be up and running because my son is moving out and I am waiting for a printer cable...that I need...

Again, Thanks! for any and all advice,  suggestions, and whatever else you want to throw in...

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

Here are two sets of instructions for updating from Win 8 to Win 8.1. If you want a more Win 7 feel after updating, check out the info in the second link.

Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

How to Upgrade to Windows 8.1 From Windows 8

Personally speaking, Ubuntu is the best distro. Suggestion...get the 13.10 release. Next April 14.04 LTS (long term support...5 years) will be released.

As l3.10 only has 9 month support from release date, suggest you upgrade to the LTS in April after final release.

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu

EDIT: No need, in my opinion, to add any extra security programs in Windows 8.1. Windows Defender is free and is installed in 8 and 8.1.

When you do monthly updates for Windows...assuming you will....WD will be updated then, too.

You will want to check for updates for any programs and browsers you add in Windows at that time, too.

If and when you install a Linux distro as a dual boot with Windows, be sure to defragment the Windows installation before shrinking the partition 

that Windows is installed on....if Windows is installed on disk drive and not a SSD.

Edited by buddy215, 16 December 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

On a more modern computer you won't have to worry about going for a "lightweight" distro.  Any of them should be good.  But do look into issues regarding SecureBoot and UEFI as these new features can cause some installation headaches if you plan on dual booting between Linux and Windows 8. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 battyhippie

battyhippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

A BIG Thanks! to both of you! Oh what my son got me was and sorry but I am reading it off the box cause it is still in the box...it's a Dell Inspiron 660s desktop and it has a hard drive, 500gb...4gb mem...the big thing I do with computers  is stream internet radio. Although, if you think I should up the ram, let me know.

Thanks, buddy215 on the security hint, most of what I have been reading use, for security, what I have on my XP, but they were also talking about the Win7. Defrag, okay, will do, it should be interesting on a new system that will basically be updating to Win8.1 then going right to Ubuntu to see what has to be defraged, but then again that does make sense...

Interesting reading, jonuk76, fortunately, my old XP will still be here so I can look up and cry Help! It is interesting to see how Win8 is trying to play hardball...

Can I make my disk for Ubuntu from my XP computer?

#15 Radio-Monkey

Radio-Monkey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

try CompTIAA they have a beginner's certification course in linux, or try searching for the linux institute.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users