Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did System Restore way too far back

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CBear10

CBear10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

Hello all,

New to the forums and really need any help or ideas anyone could offer. Seeing if someone can give me an idea how much damage I did. My work computer picked up that Homeland Security warning virus that locks up your desktop. I removed it from my parents computer this summer by running a system restore so thats what I did this time. Problem was I thought I restored it back to a few days ago, turns out the latest restore point was 12/1 of last year...back before this computer was assigned to me. When I restarted the computer, it no longer recognized my work login name. It gave me this message "THE TRUST RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THIS WORKSTATION AND THE PRIMARY DOMAIN FAILED"

I can only log onto windows under the administrator. I've done system restore before and it hasnt affected any files but have never gone this far back. My IT guy seems to think I did not lose anything, but I dont see how - if I set this computer back before it was even set up for me. I'm not concerned really about my work files, those are all in my email at some location, but I had a couple Word docs on my desktop for a class im taking and I moved my vacation pics there because my laptop was on its last leg and I didnt want to lose them. I have to think all that stuff is gone right? Its also saying I'm running an a version of Windows 7 now that is not geniune. So I'm thinking they'll have to reinstall all the applications they did in March when they set this thing up for me? I dont think thats a problem but I feel bad being a headache and creating more work for our guy.  Greatly appreciate any input. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sasi Kumar

Sasi Kumar

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

Hi first Welcome :)

So if i get correct following are your problem.

1) Ransom-ware

2) Restored to much older date

3) DC failed

4) File lost

5) Pirate Windows

6) We admin love to help people who think like you lol [No you are not a headache]

1) Update your antivirus and run full system scan you may also need to use Malware-Bytes to remove Ransom-ware or try hitman if you have not already removed the tool.

2) Every system restore you perform will create a new restore and you can undo system restore if your think the problem is not solved so you can try other options.

3) This is not a big problem just ask your IT guy to provide valid DC credential and domain name for you to join and you will be back under DC with your login and all your policy / files intact.

4) System restore wont remove your files it will remove only programs/drivers system files etc.. As you said the 2 word doc that you use for training will be there where it was but if you have installed ms office [Word] recently you may have to reinstall it as system restore will remove PROGRAMS that was installed new after system restore was created.

5) Just look for your Key in back of your desktop or laptop, But i guess you wont find one as you are using DC which would have authenticated you if so ask for the IT staff for help.

But if you find the key any how use the following command in command prompt with admin right.

a ) slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX [Type your key in XXX]

b ) slmgr.vbs -ato [Internet access required for authentication]

Wait and others may give better options. All the best :P

Edited by Sasi Kumar, 07 December 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

Its also saying I'm running an a version of Windows 7 now that is not geniune. So I'm thinking they'll have to reinstall all the applications they did in March when they set this thing up for me?

I'd say that you need to let the work IT person...deal with this.

As a matter of policy...I think it a bad situation when someone has an IT person responsible for work systems...and seeks advice/suggestions from a computer forum.  That person has the responsibility for that system, not you.  You don't really have the right to seek outside comments, IMO.  Any comments made by forum members need to recognize this important fact.

Contact your work IT person.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users