Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is and what do I do with alg.exe/high CPU usage?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

Just about every use of the internet brings a high CPU warning on my Windows XP Pro. So far I've noticed it on Firefox, seldom on Google, disabled  Explorer.  Task Manager showed the alg.exe process and looking that up doesn't help much because of multi-opinions with no corresponding instructions on how to implement the actions suggested.  alg.exe is ranked as Harmless to Get Rid of It.  So I'm back to BleepingComputer where perhaps a selected course of action won't disable my laptop, and the procedure(s) involved won't be too overwhelming for me. 

I won't be blaming anyone for my mistakes.  I'd prefer not to make any, but...  Right now, when the warning appears I ignore it; I don't know how long it's safe to continue doing that.  I am totally unfamiliar with Task Manager other than to click it and see the box listing  processes.  There I stop.  I don't randomly click on anything when I don't know what will happen.

I don't store pictures, music, docs, play internet games...just browse and research different news subjects, only one program at a time.  (Sounds dull but enough for me.)  Still, the warning comes.

Also, this post might need to go to another category.  Feel free.

Edited by hamluis, 07 December 2013 - 10:26 AM.
Moved from Gen Security to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 MissLizz

MissLizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Louis, thanks for your attention and I should be able to comply with your instructions and really wish I could.  No need wasting time on me.  Maybe another time, another subject.  I feel dumber with every post.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

Well...this is NOT an intelligence test, so no reason to feel "dumb" about computer problems/situations.  We all have them, I had another this morning on my other system.

It makes sense to try get help for these...that's one of the premises for these forums...rather than take the "I don't know and I don't want to know" approach to a problem.

We cannot help...if you don't want to help us try to help you.

Louis

#5 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

MissLizz

Please don't feel that you are not worth the time, you are! Plus that is how you learn about your computer and others, too, learn from what is going on with yours. Believe me, the people who help here are very very very patient with those of us who know absolutely nothing about computers and more than likely wonder how we even get on line! I can vouch for that, back in 2009, I had a nasty in my computer, and poor Budapest had to hold both my hands every baby step of the way trying to clean it up. I still have the print-outs on how to do it. It does seem that you might have a nasty in your computer..so please let hamluis help you...if I can do it...you can do it!

#6 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

Industry results:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/18309-45-process-running#.    This one especially

http://www.file.net/process/alg.exe.html

http://www.2-spyware.com/file-alg-exe.html

Microsoft TechNet Reference:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783418(v=WS.10).aspx

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

Alg.exe stands for Application Layer Gateway service. It is a system process which is used to provide network access to any program, including the operating system. Typically, it is not recommended to end this program via the task manager, as you will lose all Internet connectivity until next the computer restart or Windows login.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

It was not my intention to interject my opinions on this matter into this discussion. IMHO, the Tom's Hardware article is quite good. It points out that some malware uses the alg.exe name for their nefarious tasks. Tom's pointed out that, if the program is in the wrong place, ie: other than c:\winnt\system32 or c:\windows\system32, it's suspect. I don't claim to be any sort of expert, but this sounds fair.

#9 MissLizz

MissLizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

Battyhippie, Davnel and Animal,  I appreciate any and all suggestions and I'll certainly be trying them out.  One of my situations is  instructions will say (for instance):   go to Task Manager : double-click on the process you want, then go to Services.  Only my double-click doesn't have Services, it brings  End Process - End Process Tree - and  Set Priority,  you can see where things might get confusing.  So I welcome other sites whichever might possibly be using the same language my laptop does.  I don't feel I have a critical situation; I just like things to be right - when and if possible.  It will take time for me to run through these sites, read, absorb and try out.  In the meantime, I'm having to battle ice, snow and downed power lines and that IS a priority; I'm not ignoring your suggestions.    Back later with how it goes.  In the meantime, a pat on the back to each of you.

#10 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

In WIn 7, RIGHT-clicking on a process brings up a menu that includes "Go to services", which merely switches you to the Services tab. In services ALG is listed, on my system, as Stopped even though I'm (obviously) online and writing this. I need far more expertise than I possess to figure out what's happening. Double-click does nothing in the Processes or Services tabs. Perhaps XP is different.

#11 MissLizz

MissLizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

Davnel, I am no looking pursuing this subject, but I did find out something in the tutorials and that is: the Services tab in Task Manager is available only in Windows Vista or Windows 7.  So sayeth Mr. Abrams.  TTYL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users