Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is alienware worth it?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TazzyOpz

TazzyOpz

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

I had an alienware M18x Awhile back (About a year ago) But I had to sell it to help pay for my truck. I'm now a the point where I can blow a bit of money on some stuff and was looking for another gaming laptop. (Specifically laptop as I travel quite a bit).

I've been told Asus and Origin both have nice gaming laptops with lower prices then the alienware.

Edited by TazzyOpz, 06 December 2013 - 10:16 PM.

Software Developer & Malware Analyst
Programming Langues: VB.net, C#, Java, & HTML.
Reverse Engineering/Tracking Tool familiarity: Ollydbg, IDA, CE, & Wireshark
My Website

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sasi Kumar

Sasi Kumar

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

I too agree Asus has given  Alienware run for their money in recent months, some serious competition from their Asus G7 gaming series laptops.

But personally i feel nothing beat's a Desktop setup for gaming lol :P with even more cheaper price

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

A full blown gaming laptops tend to be bulky, heavy and have a short battery life, so they are not suitable for travelling. You could get a MSI GS70 laptop is which it's weight is fairly reasonable while having some decent performance although if you dont care about those limitations then the Asus G75.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:30 AM

I get roughly 3 hours consistently out of my AW 14. Nothing stellar to say the least. If you are looking to travel a lot with your machine, consider getting one that is designed for longer life first, and not necessarily gaming performance. For a short while I was on a Sony SB 13" machine, that could play games fairly well (720P display - wasn't too hard), and had a 6 hour battery life, plus a sheet battery. It used a mid-level AMD video card, and worked out quite well.

As for Asus + Origin VS Alienware, I will say this. They compete on Price and performance. The difference in how they are made is night and day. Both are plasticy machines that suffer from excessive flex, and bending. The Alienwares are mostly metal, have a strong, rigid frame and a solid keyboard.

No matter which company you go with, pay extra for the best display you can afford, and the best GPU. I would not worry about the CPU too much, as long as you have a current quad core chip (4700 and above). The ram and hard drive is better off being upgraded after you buy the machine.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

No matter which company you go with, pay extra for the best display you can afford, and the best GPU. I would not worry about the CPU too much, as long as you have a current quad core chip (4700 and above). The ram and hard drive is better off being upgraded after you buy the machine.

I have to agree with this.  You will be over charged for RAM and hard drive.  If you are comfortable installing both, should be easy, even on a laptop, the money saved is well worth it.

Like Sasi Kumar I much prefer a desktop.

Personal opinion is that Alienware has gone down since they were bought by Dell.  Not that it is a bad brand, but no where near where it used to be when it was a botique.

#6 techwizard

techwizard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

I have an Asus G74Sx series laptop. It is a couple of years old but it out performed the Alienware equivalent at the time and did so for several hundred dollars cheaper. I would say definitely do the homework and don't purchase simply because that name brand is supposed to be the best.

#7 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

I have an MSI GT70 (i7 4700MQ; 8GB RAM; NVIDIA GTX 770M); its not the smallest/lightest thing in the world, but man does it play games well, runs everything I have thrown at it running high to ultra settings.

running trivial stuff I can get 4-5 hours on the battery, running games and stuff it drops to about 2-3

#8 techwizard

techwizard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

I have an MSI GT70 (i7 4700MQ; 8GB RAM; NVIDIA GTX 770M); its not the smallest/lightest thing in the world, but man does it play games well, runs everything I have thrown at it running high to ultra settings.

running trivial stuff I can get 4-5 hours on the battery, running games and stuff it drops to about 2-3

Except for possibly the most modern of laptops and tablets, the truth on useage time is that this is really an average for most devices. I have multiple laptops...the Monster Asus that I have been carrying around for years...its huge and heavy...when I use it remotely I get 1.5 to 3 hours with heavy useage and 3-4 without heavy useage on the battery life...I about 6 months ago added a 2 year old HP laptop to use for business...it is now acting as an antivirus server where there is a static IP and excellent internet access...the point is with that laptop the useage time on the battery was extremely similar to the Asus...just recently I added a cheap Toshiba to the mix that I use for remote/business work...on that Toshiba I do get more useage time out of the battery but it is a cheap one that has a much slower processor and canned graphics...the useage time is close to double but the only way it happened was by giving up substantial resources and speed.

#9 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

Battery life can vary greatly depending on who made the machine. The Sony SB I had a couple years ago would last an easy 5 hours (i7 2620, and AMD 6630). It wasn't slow by any stretch, nor did sacrifice weight to accomplish that. Lenovo even has machines that will hit 15 hours on the included battery. Long battery life is doable without giving up performance for the most part, but there has to be some actual desire to accomplish that goal.

Only trying to point out that while 3~4 hours is typical these days, longer run-times are possible as long as the manufacturer is willing to focus on it.

Edited by waldojim42, 10 December 2013 - 09:53 AM.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users