Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netzero/norton

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cowboy357

cowboy357

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:00 PM

Still learning about the forum,,,sorry,,,,with My new computer I got netzero internet,,,,suposedly it came with norton online,,,,,Before I figured out I had to order it thru the mail,,,I was infected,,,,Spyfalon & numerous others,,,,I was told to get noadware I could get it free,,,It found several things on My computer but wouldn,t fix them till I paid 30 bucks,,,like a dummy I did,,,kept having problems,,,& found out that They had Me install most of them Myself,,,,bottom Line i got rid of them & now I think that the free norton from netzero & thereselves are causing all of My problems,,,,Right now it,s limited to ,,about blank,,,I now Have Ad-Ware plus edition ,,,Spydocter 3.8,,,,& vcom fixit utilities 6,,,,They have solved most of My problems,,,,But norton keeps saying it found something no one else did,,,,,Sorry for dragging this out,,,,Should I get rid of the netzero & norton software They provided & get a new internet provider,,,,I,m on dial up,,,so theres not a lot of choices,,,,,,,Thanks for any input,,,,,Cowboy
Yer Only gonna be as happy, as You decide to be . Cowboy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:46 PM

First, what precisely did Norton find? And did you get any error message when it could not remove it? If so, please reply with the information. One quick solution is to run your AV in Safe Mode. Many viruses will hide themselves in files your OS constantly uses or reads- - -and therefore protects; booting in safe mode kills all but the most essential modules, and therefore "unprotects" many files. Be sure that you have updated Norton's definitions before running it. You may find that running your anti-spyware applications (like Ad-Aware) in safe mode is a good idea, as well.

Hopefully this will at least assure your hard drive is free of viruses and the most common spyware.

Second, the next step should be to submit a HJT Log to our volunteer team of experts for review and help. The log will enable them to find malware and then they will work with you to get rid of it. Complete instructions for submitting a HJT log can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

I suspect that once you have cleaned up your computer, you will find Norton and Netzero to be working in good order, and not have to uninstall these and look for replacements.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 04 May 2006 - 04:47 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:57 PM

NetZero can be extremely difficult to unsubscribe to. They are even known to charge months after cancellation. Their software allows them to send tons of ads and spam and will knock you offline every 2 hours or so. So if you do unsubscribe be sure that you get it in writing (email) and don't accept anything they tell you verbally. There are much better dialups available, but I don't want you to think this a commercial so I want recommend any. The other responders are correct though that you need to get cleaned up.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users