Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help. HP Dv7 Notebook Display issue [picture included]

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heatseekah

Heatseekah

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

Notebook Specs

* HP dv7 Notebook

* Win7 Home Premium SP1 (64bit O.S)

* 8GB RAM

* 750GB HDD

* Intel i7 3rd Gen 2.20GHz

* Display Adapte: Intel ® HD Graphics Family.

Display issue link to picture: http://imgur.com/fSlrJk6

I bought this laptop roughly about a year ago.  As soon as I received it, it had issues, the display screen would not turn on.  I went on bleepingcomputer.com and found a solution that explained that I should unplug the laptop, remove the battery and hold the power button down for approx. ~30secs or so.  I did this and it worked. 

Occasionally I would have this problem but this solution would usually solve it, so I never bothered to send it back. 

Fastforward to today, I get home and open up the laptop and no display -___-.   I do the trick about three times and nothing, the laptop turns on, the HDMI output to T.V works fine, but the screen won't turn on.  I take the battery out and just plug the AC adapter and turn it on w/o the battery.  I get this purple looking screen.  Now I'm thinking "What the f--- ?" 

Not sure if it's a driver issue, or this might actually be a hardware issue with my notebook.  Any recommendations or suggestions to solve this issue would be GREATLY appreciatted. 

-HEAT's

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

Kind of strange.  Haven't seen too many display problems except the AMD line they released for the dv2000, 6000, and 9000s, and some dv7s.  Usually you'll see a pink display if the bulb on the screen is going out, but pink could relate to a couple of things:  the video card or the screen it self.

If it displays perfectly fine through HDMI I would assume the video card is fine and it's either the bulb or the screen.  Is it showing a pink hue or is it purple?  The picture you provided seems purple so I'm not sure what I'm seeing.

Edited by Trakeen, 06 December 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#3 Heatseekah

Heatseekah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

Hey Trakeen

Yeah, I've been watching some videos of fixes to this issue.  But none of these videos have mentioned if the onboard video was the issue.  (I'm typing this on my notebook w/ the issue, while it's connected to my TV.)

No issue w/ the notebook other than the black screen when I try to run it when it's not connected to an external monitor.  Older Dv7's had an issue with overheating the GPU and there's tons of fixes for that issue.  I just don't know if that's the issue I'm having, since I'm sure this machine doesn't have an AMD graphics chip.

To answer you question, yeah I guess you could say the screen looks a bit pink, it's actually in between a purple and pink. 

What I did notice is since the notebook is connected to my TV, I don't see the options for multiple monitors (Extended, Cloning, TV Only).  Those options are now gone.  It's like the notebook doesn't recognize the flip up monitor. 

I'm at a loss on where to start.  Try the GPU fix or buy a new LCD replacement for my notebook or keep trying the power button fix?

-HEAT's

#4 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Any kind of manufacturer / retailer warranty or a possible recall?  That's the first place I would start.  If you look for your specific serial number online you'll be able to see if there are numbers similar to yours that are known to have an issue, and are under recall or not.

If the warranty is up, and it's not under recall you have 2 options, a reptuable repair shop, or depending on how adventureous you are and what you know about disassembling a laptop and replacing hardware, you could always try replacing the cable connecting the lcd first to test out the cheapest component and work your way up.

I've seen screens as cheap as $50 and inverters for $25 on e-bay, but this can be a little risky if you're not really wanting to put a whole lot into this project, and none of these components are the issue, but the GPU is. 

Edited by Trakeen, 07 December 2013 - 11:46 PM.

#5 Heatseekah

Heatseekah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

Hello fellow Bleepingcomputers,

I'm here to post an update to my issue and resolution, hopefully this will help anyone else with this similar issue.

My notebook is a HP-Compaq Pavilion DV7 6C95DX

The issue was actually the physical monitor on the notebook.  This screen is an LED wide screen, and from what I found out LCD LEDs have no power inverters, simply just a simple video connector at the back of the monitor.  Finding out that the screen had no power inverter board, and that the issue was not with the on board graphics card (connected to external monitor with no issues.) I came to the sad realization that I had a monitor issue.

You can buy quality notebook monitor replacements at screencountry.com

There are also LCD CCFLs (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) out there depending on your make and model.  The CCFL's DO HAVE!!  power inverter boards. 

In order to find out that you are buying the right screen, you might have to remove the screen and check in the back.  If you see just a video connector plugged into the back of the monitor, you have a LED monitor.  If you see a video connector and an additional connector in the back of your monitor, then you most likely have a CCFL monitor. (assuming your make and model notebook has both LED & CCFL model screens out there)

Of course, do what you can depending on your comfort level and good luck.

TL/DR:  Found out LCD LED notebook monitors have no power inverter boards on monitor, bought & installed replacement, monitor works.

-HEAT's

Edited by Heatseekah, 19 December 2013 - 10:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users