Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Removal Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 margiemorgan

margiemorgan

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

Having problems with my child's laptop and in her infinite wisdom of 19 years, she decided to surf the net at school with antivirus off. It subsequently got removed (I don't know how). Began having problems, monitor would not display, got the blue screen of death, modem has stopped working. Called Dell because it is still under warranty. Gave them the error code and they said they thought it was the sdbot virus. Went to a Mircosoft web page and tried to manually remove it. I did find the msdirectx.sys file in my registry as the web page said I would. I followed instructions and deleted registry entry. I turned off the Windows option of auto-restore as directed. Still had virus. Tried to install Norton's Anti-Virus 2006 and it gives me an error half way through install then tells me to go to the website to find out what is wrong. Can't - modem won't work. You have to be on the infected computer to find out what the error means. Tried to boot to CD. Got that to come up but never could get it to find a virus. Kept telling me no files infected. When in safe or regular mode, I cannot see any files on the CD rom drive. Can see the drive, just no files on the CD. Modem will not work even in safe mode with networking. Tried contacting Symantec but their techs keep telling to go to the website. I can't-no working modem. Help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:57 PM

Hi margiemorgan,

I suggest that you follow our Malware Removal guide. Start Here
Its contents has been tested and proven true. If you have any questions, please ask!

Good luck

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 margiemorgan

margiemorgan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:18 AM

Thanks. Will try it and get back with you. May be next week but I hope it helps so I don't have to re-format hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users