Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for some help with USB 3.0 interference :(

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 srgehl

srgehl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

So, I hope you guys could help me out with a problem ran into. It's been a long time since I messed around with computer hardware, but some black friday deals took hold of me. I purchased a new Western Digital My Book 4TB external hard drive and a 3 port USB 3.0 PCIe card. Both were for my 2009 dell desktop which I'm running windows vista on. The new USB 3.0 PCIe Card and external hard drive work great! no problems and they work super fast! The problem that I was not aware of before buying the USB 3.0 card is the interfernece usb 3.0 has with wifi. when the hard drive is plugged in my computer loses signal. My question is were is the interfernce coming from. The hard drive itself, the usb cable going to the hard drive, the USB card on the motherboard, or all three! The card is located in the only open slot I have which is right over my wireless card. so the wireless intenna is right next to the ports. the hard drive is on a desk maybe two and a half feet above the tower. I'm also using the standard cable that came with the hard drive.

If I hardwire my computer to my router will that solve the problem or will I still get interference. please help, and thank you.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

This is likely to be a problem with EMF interference within the casing of the system unit, coming from the USB card when data is being transmitted. The cheapest options are an external Wi-Fi dongle or connecting your system unit to the router via Ethernet and, if necessary, disabling the Wi-Fi card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users