Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Monitor Won't Show Anything (VGA Works)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 abroman320

abroman320

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

I have an Acer Aspire 7520-5757 from 2007 that does not show anything on the laptop's monitor when it is turned on.

When I connect it to the TV via a VGA cable, it shows fine on the TV, yet the laptop's monitor is still blank. I tried right click desktop > screen resolution, but it only reports "generic non pnp monitor" as the only monitor present.

Now the main problem is that I googled a few solutions a few months ago (letting the battery drain out, holding the power button, etc,) and the laptop's screen started working normally again. When trying to plug the laptop to the TV again via VGA, the same problem started happening again and now I can only do stuff while looking at it from the TV. Would the best thing to do just try what I did a few months ago and hope it restores itself again?

Tried Windows + P, and pressed enter on computer only, and all it does is refresh the TV's screen. Running on Windows 7 as well if that's needed.

Edited by abroman320, 06 December 2013 - 02:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

It could be something as simple as a ribbon cable connected to the motherboard on the laptop, but there are a couple of other possibilities.  Sometimes there is a mechanical button that the screen presses when the lid is closed, and sometimes this button can get stuck.

Did the screen ever look pink before this happened, or when you were able to get the screen working again?  If you saw this the bulb for your screen is most likely dead on the screen will need to be replaced.

One other thing I can think of is the inverter going on.  If you take a flash light and shine it on the screen do you see anything at all?  Sometimes the image will be really faint.  If that's the case the inverter can usually be replaced for less than $100 at any reasonable laptop repair shop.

Keep us posted.

#3 abroman320

abroman320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:12 AM

Very sorry for the late reply, but I do not recall seeing anything wrong with the screen when it returned back to normal for that brief period. When the windows logo appeared on the tv, I checked very carefully on the laptop's monitor and I did not see the logo at all. I doubt it's the inverter going bad.

I may be wrong since there are multiple possibilities on what could be causing this, but I still think it's just something faulty with the connection with the VGA cable messing with the settings of the laptop's monitor.

When I right click > screen resolution, the only thing I see is "Generic non-PnP monitor," even when the VGA cable is connected to the laptop (I'm actually using a tv as the monitor and looking at it as I type.)

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

Have you tried reinstalling the driver to see if that helps?

http://www.helpjet.net/files-Acer-Aspire-7520.html#AVideo%20Card

Find the operating system that you use and download the zip.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,241 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

Quite awhile back I was trying to connect to my Acer to my tv which worked fine, when I backed out I had a black screen.  There was a key combo that was either Alt or Control F6 try Google Acer black screen for the info before you get to deep.  If that does not work there is a Bios fix.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 21 January 2014 - 02:12 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users