Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big Issue Transferring "My Documents" from C: to E:

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 randl

randl

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

I used a flawed set of instructions to move my libraries from the C: drive to a new Hard Disk Drive and ended up with ALL my old library files into ALL the libraries in the new HDD.  In other words, All the Data, Music, Pictures, and Videos, into ALL the libraries of the Hard Disk.  the attached picture shows the upside down set up.

I can probably delete ALL of it and start from my backup, however, while using the "Move" command under properties, I saw screens that said, once I "moved" the libraries, I could not undo them.  in other words, I no longer have "Libraries" in C: I can move again.

SO, is there a way to recreate them (Correctly) without having to "re-load" my OS?

If so, how?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

If you click one of the Data (E:) entries what folder structure do you see?  Are all your files in correct folders - e.g. Music, Pictures?

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

Dumb questions, why?

You can right click the library you want to work with and add folders.

I'm not sure what you want to accomplish.  Sine you have the libraries on E:, why do you want an empty library on C:?

#4 randl

randl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

No.  this is what I was explaining above.  If you look at the thumbnail you can see that instead of the folders being in the E: disk,  the E: disk is in ALL the folders.  If I delete ALL the files in one folder, I still have ALL the files in another folder.  ALL the files are in ALL the folders, because, they E: disk is in all of them.

The problem is that now, I don't have folders in C: drive any more.  So I don't think I can delete everything and Start over again.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

1.  Right click a library (Documents, Music, Pictures, or Videos) and select Properties.

2.  Press the Include a folder button

3.  Browse to the folder that contains the type of files for the library (you currently have them all set to the root of E:), you actually have to go into the folder that contains the files.  If your music is stored in E:\Music, you have to open that folder before you press the Include folder button

4.  After you have the folder drag it to where you want it in the list

5.  Select the folder you want as the default save location and press the Set save location button

6.  Press OK.

You don't need the folders on C: any more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users