Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advise on upgrading ram, emachine with WinXP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

First to state what I have, this is an old emachine, model T3504 Celeron R D CPU 3.20 GHz that now sports a whooping 624 ram. What I was thinking of doing with this old machine was up-ing the ram to 1G so that I could load Linux in the machine and learn Linux...Questions, will that be enough ram to do the duel-boot and is it feasible to do or am I whistling in the wind?

Now I know that I need two matching, low density sticks of ram 184 pin to boost this baby. So any and all advice will be greatly welcomed, and please keep it simple...computer geek this ol' hippie ain't...

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

I always recommend Crucial (link for your machine) for RAM.  Mainly because of their memory finder.  It makes it easy to get the RAM that fits, let you know how much you can install, and let you know if you need to install in pairs or another configuartion.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

Technically, you have enough RAM to use a Linux distro....even as Live.

But it will definitely improve experience if you add more...

If this is a spare comp I would consider installing only Linux since XP is soon to be no longer supported.

Suggest Ubuntu....but first use as Live to see if all of your hardware is compatible. That goes for any distro you select.

According to this site you have two slots and can accept up to 2 GBs total RAM.

eMachines T3504 Memory Upgrade - eMachines T3504 eMachines Computer Memory

I have made one purchase of memory from that site and have no complaints....quick delivery and good memory.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

On a low powered system I'd suggest Xubuntu over Ubuntu.  It runs fine with 1Gb (and may just be OK on 0.5Gb).  For me, with the desktop and the Chromium browser running with a few open tabs, the resource monitor reports something like 200-250mb being used on my old Atom based Netbook.  It has access to the same software as Ubuntu, but it's significantly less resource hungry.  Personally I'd spend as little as possible on the PC you have now as it's pretty dated - try a reputable seller on Ebay as these 184pin DDR modules are pretty common and cheap.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 battyhippie

battyhippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

@RKilroy

Yes, and Thank-you for that site. That is how I found out what kind of ram this computer needed, cause you had mentioned it answering someone else's question on ram...also doubled checked how many slots I had when I did the monthly clean out the bunnies in the computer.

@jonuk76

Don't worry, I am not going to spend an arm and a leg on this ol' computer...but it ain't ready for the junk yard, so I figured why not learn Linux? And as to where to get the ram? My favourite computer store in the next town, he always has spare ram, its where we get our computer batteries, etc and he is cheaper than ebay.

@buddy215

Yes, this will be a spare computer, the one I can tinker with so that if it blows up in my face, I'm not up that creek without a paddle. But it already has XP on it...and as usual, I got lost with only installing Linux, then live then...I do believe I need to ask these questions in the Linux forum, correct?

So Thanks! all, for answering, and any more comments will be greatly appreciated.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

Yep....if you would like some assistance with installing a Linux distro, post in the Linux Forum.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 battyhippie

battyhippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

@buddy215

Will do, have already been visiting and reading...

#8 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

I was recently given a similar model eMachine with a Celeron D and I had hoped that it was a socket 775, but it was unfortunately just a socket 478. I ended up increasing the system performance by not just upgrading the RAM to 1GB of DDR 400Mhz, but also bought a Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz CPU off of ebay for $6.99 with free shipping. My eMachine had surprisingly an INTEL motherboard which allowed for it to take better CPUs, although it stinks that this motherboard was made extremely low cost by INTEL to where it does not have a AGP or PCIe slot to be used to play older games well, so its stuck with integrated Intel 845 or 865 Graphics ( forgot the specific chipset ).

So if you want the best performance out of this old system, I'd upgrade to a Pentium 4 HT ( hyperthreading = 2 logical CPU's ) so it acts like a dual-core with the virtual core, although it is no wheres as fast as more modern true dual-cores. The Celeron D in the system I have was a Celeron D 335 single-core 2.8Ghz.

The system runs so much better on that Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz vs the Celeron D 335 2.8Ghz!!! And only for $7 on ebay used. ** BTW... My INTEL motherboard in my eMachine supported up to a Pentium 4 3.4Ghz Extreme Edition, although the cheapest 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 as a socket 478 was $30 and it is not worth $30 to me for the extra 400Mhz and additional wattage load on the PSU to drive that CPU.

Edited by goldfist, 20 December 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#9 battyhippie

battyhippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

@goldfist

Thanks! I will keep that in mind...this old machine is going to be my tinker toy cause I just got a brand new computer, so I can play without worry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users