Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player won't work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bjclark

bjclark

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hi again. Here I am with yet another problem. I am using windows 7 and WindowsMedia Player Version 12.0.7600.16385. Today was the first time I tried to use
the Media Player but was unsuccessful.

When I click on the program name in the start menu, nothing happens.

If I insert a disk, there is a quick flash of a window opening and closing, then nothing.

Trying Start>computer>right click on the dvd drive>play gives me a window that
says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not
have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

The disk I was trying to play works fine in my other computer. I would greatly appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Give this a try:  Windows Repair (All In One) Download

Windows Repair is a utility that contains numerous mini-fixes for Windows.  This tool will allow you to repair common issues with your computer such as firewall, file permission, and Windows Update problems.  When using this tool you can select the particular fixes you would like to launch and start the repair process.

Windows Repair can perform the following tasks:

• Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions
  • Register System Files
  • Repair WMI
  • Repair Windows Firewall
  • Repair Internet Explorer
  • Repair MDAC & MS Jet
  • Repair Hosts File
  • Remove Policies Set By Infections
  • Repair Icons
  • Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
  • Remove Temp Files
  • Repair Proxy Settings
  • Unhide Non System Files
  • Repair Windows Updates
  • Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working

If the above doesn't solve the problem, here is a link containing 3 more fixes....one of which should work.

Error when trying to open Windows Media Player: the file - Microsoft Community

Edited by buddy215, 06 December 2013 - 10:41 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 bjclark

bjclark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

Wow! That Windows Repair (All In One) Download fixed the problem. I had almost given up hope of ever getting it to work. Thanks so much for the help.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Terrific....merry surfing!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users