Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MY first post, need Help please, vista freezes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 neuman360

neuman360

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:13 AM

Hello Everyone, I just joined and this is my first post, I need some help with my brothers computer. I am the tech guy in my household and everyone in my family turns to me to fix there slow or infected PC. So now I have finally came across a problem I can't quite wrap my head around heres what happens, my bro goes to use his computer and the screen is freezes and there are three lines going across the screen two rows of green and red lines all the way across screen. He showed me and I checked it out I see nothing out of place. what could this be please help me, I am trying to help my brother out but im a little stuck any and all help would be very appreciated . I have done some recent fixs to his computer also I will explain that to. I had to wipe hard drive and re-install windows vista basic cause he had an access denied problem could not use flash drives or any thing but that was all fixed when I re-installed Vista. Then about a month later his computer started working up again and he had a CMOS 'checksum' error.I had to replace battery in motherboard and I reset the cmos to default and bios.

Then it worked again and he had no problems for about 24 hours. Then the current problem occurred the one I was first talking about and he can just reset it by holding power button and it will work for awhile then it always freezes at some point in the day. The other day he told me he started some windows updates and went to bed. He got up next day and computer restarted and was on login screen but frozen with the red and green lines across the screen. I have a picture of the desktop when the computer freezes so maybe if someone has seen this before or it has happened to them please some one help me out here My Mind is Blown I have no ideal what it is help would be much appreciated. Thanks this is my first post. Attached File  Computer freeze.jpg   127.96KB   1 downloads heres the picture hello everyone my names Eric. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techwizard

techwizard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

Lets start off with the basics. If you boot the computer into safe mode and use it does it do this same thing?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If this is a custom build please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

My first thought would be a problem with the graphics, either the card has a problem or there is a problem with a driver.  

When you boot into Safe Mode there is limited amount of drivers and files running which makes this a good troubleshooting platform.  The graphics driver normally used when you start normally is not used in Safe Mode, so if the problem doesn't reoccur in Safe Mode the problem is most likely with the graphics driver.

If you are not familiar with booting into Safe Mode, here's how to do it.

Immediately after pressing the power button start tapping the F8 key.  A image similar to the one below will appear.  This is the Advanced Boot Options.

windows-vista_safe-mode2.png 

Use the up or down arrow to navigate to Safe Mode, press Enter to boot into Safe Mode.

Because the graphics driver is a native Windows driver the quality of the image will be poor, this is normal in Safe Mode.  What we want to know is if the distortion occurs when you are in Safe Mode.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 neuman360

neuman360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

Yes it freezes in safe mode 2 when its loading safe mode stuff all those line of stuff it loads for safe mode it froze didnt even get to log in screen and i sorry i thought no one would reply so i stopped checking after 2 day any way it wont start up to desktop any more even when in safe mode cant even get to windows log in screen :(

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:50 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have a installation disc for this version of Vista?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users