Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Ping/Tracert OK ... Browser/EMail/Team Viewer no go

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bxdobs

bxdobs

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:24 AM

made a Disk Image before doing any diags ... all attempts to correct this has had no effect ... reloaded image and mounted drive as slave then ran Malwarebytes on the drive ... the only thing found was some minor issues with Real Player ... Remounted the drive and nothing changed ... removed all the browsers and backed ie down to ie 9 ... re installed the network interface drivers ... used netsh  to reset, winsock, ipv4, ipv6 ... still nothing ... re installed a clean os Win 7 and nothing is wrong with the hardware or external downstream network devices ... I would like to reload the Image again and ask for assistance with this but I have no idea what has caused this or what to call it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bxdobs

bxdobs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

A Brief history:

2 yr old Win 7 Home Premium Acer desktop

This same issue has occurred 3 times

The last two times doing a system restore has resolved the issue ... initial issue started shortly before 13 Mar 2012 ... funWeb was found and removed on 22 Aug 2012

This time the system restore appears to have been culled as it only goes back 9 days with the earliest restore still having the same issue ... internet connected with Ping but all Browsers are blocked ... user claims this started 14 days ago

At each instance, none of the following security players have detected anything malicious installed on this machine: Mcafee, Malwarebytes, 360, onecare safety scan, Security Essentials (with the exception of funWeb on the 22nd of Aug which from online discussions suggest isn't related to this issue)

The machine is behind a router firewall with 2 other machines that haven't had this issue and has been running SHAW (ISP) Secure since 22 Aug 2012  (Mcafee Security Center  Product) ... The ISP is providing licences for MSC 

The machine has primarily been used for Email, Web Surfing,  Excel, Word, Photo's and Producing Music Scores ... it is not a gaming machine

I suspect whatever has caused this issue must have either been the result of an EMAIL attachment, or some click on me cyber malware  ... with the re occurrence possibly the result of the malwware package remaining dormant in one of the user's data files 

Acer has a recovery mode that backs up all the user data and does a clean install of the machine ... it has taken over 12 hours to get the machine with updates back to a point where I can start applying the 34 GB of user data ... however ... now running into issues of "file name too large" and "files with no system rights"  with the backup Acer made so this recovery plan in my mind has gone off track

The user's backups aren't useful either as they appear to only encompass the user's doc folders ... no config or email folders appear to be included

I am at the point where I would like to restore the before image and try another approach

#3 bxdobs

bxdobs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:34 AM

This was a Boot Virus of some sort ... I was able to get rid of it with help from tweaking.com

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,1595.0.html

The ISO Repair was also being taken over by the boot virus until I told it not to look for updates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users