Hello Dragon -
I am using Firefox and it is updated.
I know we're only supposed to ask one question per post but I'd also like to know if there's anything else I can do to maintain the computer's like new state other than running ccleaner every night?
You can ask what-ever you like about the computer
Print out, or save these instructions to Notepad (or similar) -
Always remember that Firefox is an Add-on program, while your default is Internet Explorer 10 or 11 -
Clear the Temp File Cache - This program is specific and deeper than CCleaner
Please download Temp File Cleaner by Old Timer
- Download TFC from the download link above and save the file on your desktop.
- Close ALL running applications as TFC will terminate them before attempting to clean up the temporary files.
- Double-click on the TFC icon or Right click and select Run as Administrator
- When the program opens, click on the Start button.
- TFC will terminate the Explorer process and all running applications and then begin the process of cleaning out all of your temp folders.
- When done, press OK and reboot your computer and finish the cleanup.
Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.
Please download and run RKill by Grinler. A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear.
This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
If a log is produced, save it, or post it back here -
Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.
Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
* Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
* Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
* Click on the Scan button. (only once)
* AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
* After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
NOW - * Click on the Clean button. (only once)
* Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
* Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
* After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
* Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
* A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.
You said that you have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed.
Update the program to the latest version, and then run a Full Scan.
Please post the results ot that scan back here -
Please scan your computer with ESET Online Scanner
Read How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus
This scan is best performed with Internet Explorer, as it uses ActiveX
If you will not use Internet Explorer, then please read item 3 in this post
1 - Open Internet Explorer and hold down Control (Ctrl) key and click on This Link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
2 - Click the ESET Online Scanner button.
Vista Windows 7 & 8 users may need to Right click on this and select Run as Administrator
3 - For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
- a - Click on eset.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
- b - Double click on the icon on your desktop.
5 - Click the Start button.
6 - Accept any security warnings from your browser.
7 - Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
8 - Click Advanced settings and then select the following:
* Scan potentially unwanted applications
* Scan for potentially unsafe applications
* Enable Anti-Stealth technology
9 - ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
10 - Please be patient as this will take some time (first time scans are always longer).
11 - When the scan completes, click List Threats
12 - Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
13 - Click the Back button and then Click the Finish button.
NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.
If you lose the log it can be found at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
If no infections are found then please tell me -
You can ignore any ESET detection of AdwCleaner...it is a false positive detection.
Thank You -
Edited by noknojon, 06 December 2013 - 04:06 AM.