Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8/8.1 malware vulnerability

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 byteguy

byteguy

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

What is the general thought on the need for a third party malware package with Windows 8/8.1?  Is the new operating system secure enough to not need any security package?  We're having this discussion on LinkedIn and I'm not getting any definite answers there.

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

Um...why don't you take a peek at the Win8 forum, I do believe you will see that yes, that operating system gets the nasties just like all the other Win operating systems. Would I have a computer without a third party malware package? Heck No! As they say around here...it's like taking a toss in the hay without your raincoat...nine months later...surprise surprise....

#3 byteguy

byteguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

Um...why don't you take a peek at the Win8 forum, I do believe you will see that yes, that operating system gets the nasties just like all the other Win operating systems. Would I have a computer without a third party malware package? Heck No! As they say around here...it's like taking a toss in the hay without your raincoat...nine months later...surprise surprise....

I'll do that--thanks.

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

#4 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

I would not go without outside protection.  There are too many folks that could profit out of this.  So be prepared, the best you can.

#5 bobid

bobid

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hi

I am a newbie on this forum and found it via my antivirus provider. Byteguy's comments and others interested me after looking at the windows forum .

I bought a W8 machine 6 months ago and was overjoyed with its performance for a few weeks then Microsoft downloaded windows v8.!. Immediately afterwards POW!!! I lost my audio and access to my DVD writer. Took a long time to recover v8 again. 

What is wrong with v8.1?? Is this Microsoft jumping the gun again launching an untested upgrade?

I am  very nervous at venturing into v8.1 again without reassurance.

Bobid

#6 byteguy

byteguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

A couple of the members in the LinkedIn group ACRBO are conducting extensive tests to see how Win 8/8.1 holds up to virus and malware.  So far it's shown that this new O/S is not bullet proof.  They are testing without third party software (making use of only Windows Defender and Win 8's supposedly foolproof software).  The tests are showing that a third party internet security package is needed.

I have been using Trend Internet Security which I plan on testing on a virtual machine running Win 8.  They have been running some other kinds of software.

#7 bobid

bobid

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

Thanks byteguy

I will await more positive outcome from Microsoft before downloading their v8.1 update and continue using my Bullguard" anti virus in the meantime

Cheers

Bobid

#8 byteguy

byteguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Well,I wouldn't let that stop you.  If you have good 3rd party protection, 8.1 is not any worse.  Supposedly it's a little better.

I don't like the interface so I use Classic Shell as a menuing program and it looks and acts like Win 7 only has the increased performance and stability of 8.

#9 bobid

bobid

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the response. It helps in confidence building. In the meantime I am trying to run W8 in safe mode to remove a couple of possible problems found by my antivirus program

#10 masx

masx

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

I have been told that Windows Defender will activate IF you don't have another anti-virus program. I had Norton which came with my puter but got it out of there quick because it was causing a lot of problems. I downloaded AVG free one and have used it for years. Windows Defender will not activate if you have another. 

On my Vista machine I had AVG, SpyBot Search and Destroy, AND Malware Bytes, but have been told not to have more than one of Win 8.1. I do have CCleaner which always finds issues.

AVG has alerted me many times about threats.

#11 byteguy

byteguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

IMHO, AVG, being free, is only an anti-virus program.  Worth every penny you pay for it.  CCleaner won't interfere with internet security progs.  You are correct--you should be using only one at a time, othewise your performance will suffer and sometimes neither program will stop an infection.  Just had one yesterday that way.

I had installed Trend Titanium Internet Security and someone else put McAfee on.  The result was a messed-up machine which I had to clean and then reinstall Trend.

#12 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

I would go with a 3rd party antivirus, MSE isn't scoring as high as they used to, see here.

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

I have had good luck with Avast free not so much with AVG though.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

I run a Antivirus and Malwarebytes Pro.

I do believe Windows 8 is better, However not 100%.

I would not run without either one.

I also do install all the windows security updates.

I second the use of Classic Shell.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#14 bobid

bobid

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

Have just spotted another possible glitch with W8. I have installed a 2T backup drive to my pc with USB3 connection. The installation was very fast and the drive is clearly identified and accessible from 'my computer' The only problem seems to be with auto backing up 'history'. I am constantly being told the drive is not identified or doesn't exist which is clearly not the case!

Has anyone else had a similar problem? I am continuing to use a secondary anti virus 

I trust that when W8.3 arrives all previous problems will disappear, like my backup ability!

Cheers

Bobid

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

Could it be that the drive is not a NTFS partition. Possibly GPT?

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users