Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help to understand some CPU information

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

I am looking for a Windows 7 refurbished desktop computer for my brother. Presently he is using a Dell 3000 XP computer. He uses his computer to play Pogo games; follow sports web sites & uses Yahoo mail. I am considering one of these two but I need help on understanding a few cpu items  

HP/CPQ 6005 Windows 7 HP 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo DTP 160 GB 4GB

Condition: A Grade w/ OS for 239.00

Lenovo Thinkcentre 7303-CTO Windows 7 HP 2.66 GHz Core 2 Quad DTP 160 GB 4GB

Condition: A Grade w/ OS for 319.00

What does DTP mean? I’ve looked it up and it appears to me it might have something to do with desktop publishing but what is the significance of it if that is the case?

In trying to find out about the 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo I came across the T9400 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Duo+T9400+%40+2.53GHz

I don’t know whether or not the one in this computer is a T9400 but in its description there is Max TDP: 35 W. What does that mean?

I have also seen some computers with dual-core cpu’s. In checking some descriptions, I am confused on which category – dual-core or core 2 duo – tends to be the better performer

--- Can you give me a fairly simple explanation of what will help me figure that out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

Of the two Processors listed the "2.66 GHz Core 2 Quad DTP" should be a Quad core (4 Processor cores on one Chip) where as the other is a duo core (2 Processor cores on one Chip). http://support.lenovo.com/en_AE/downloads/detail.page?DocID=PD003645

So the Quad core should perform better.

At 4Gb that is the maximum as far as I can determine from browsing he Internet. So no memory upgrade possible. Also these have to be several years old

DTP as far as I know stands for "DeskTop Processor)

The T9400 is a laptop processor not normally used in a Desktop computer.

They are both Windows 7 Home Premium (Windows 7 HP)

You could almost buy new for that price too.

If You do Buy, Make sure the seller includes a Windows 7 HP disk and product key. From my research these used to be Windows Vista.

I hope this helps

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Yes it does help, thank you

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

My brother decided to purchase a refurbished desktop computer with Windows 7 Professional and asked me to set it up for him when it comes in

Once the computer is completely booted, I plan on doing the following 

Create a system repair disc (I suspect this is the only time this needs to be done)

--- Then create a system image onto an external hard drive using Win7's backup utility before doing all of the windows updates

Create a System Restore point

Do all of the Windows Updates

Create a System Restore point again

Create another system image onto the external hard drive using Win7's backup utility 

Is that a good plan or is there something else I need to consider while the computer is in pristine condition?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users