Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNA Testing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jcta79

jcta79

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hello everyone,

I have always been interested about my ancestry. I was wondering does anyone have any experience with sites like 23andme, ancenstry.com, The Genographic project. I badly want to get around on spending the money to find out where my ancestors come from, also I have a twin and I want to get a twin zygosity test, but that is another subject all together heh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:13 PM

Hi,

If you wanna learn who your great great great grand parents were, I suspect DNA testing will not help you much. Actually most of the information for this you will get from church books, and official documents: Who maried whom, where and when. How were their parents called etc.
If you go back more than a few hundred years (eg 16th century in Europe) you will have to resort to less accurate documentation, as these things most likely won't exist anymore. however, they probably will still have kept tabs on who had to pay taxes and you will be able to follow your family name by who paid taxes when and for how many.

It's some serious work you would need to do (or someone would need to do), but can be very rewarding. My parents & grand parents have both been very interested in genealogy and have been able to retrace the family for the better part of 400 years. (and we moved within a 20mile radius over all these years.. quite amazing, isn't it? :lol:)
If you "just" want to go back a few generations, it may be enough to talk to your family. Your parents will remember your grand parents and grand grand parents. Your grand parents even may remember the generation before that. They will also often know about your aunts and uncles twice removed. This kind of info is there, just rarely mentioned because it's assumed to be common knowledge.

Personally, I don't think, that using DNA testing to discover your ancestors is going to be very satisfying. At best they will be able to tell you with what likelihood you're related to someone else in their database... But your grand parents and grand grand parents probably never gave a DNA sample done, so they can not match your ancestry exactly.
They will probably tell you things like "There's a 12.42% chance that you are related to Charlemagne and probably general info such as you're 24.23% Asian, 40% Africane and 30% European. These kind of infos, which can of course be very interesting. (Given that my family moved within a 20 mile radius in the last 300 years, I'm fairly sure what kind of percentage I would get. :wink:)

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

I'll only address the 23andme aspect. I have some concerns about their marketing and wonder what else there is we don't know about their 'product'.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/12/06/249231236/23andme-bows-to-fdas-demands-drops-health-claims

All I'll say is it's your money but: Caveat Emptor

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

Well you can only do so much by yourself. Also it'll end up costing money in the end because of certain documents you may have to acquire. Lets take me for instance, I am of Puerto Rican descent. It'll be a little harder after I speak with my Great Aunts and Uncles about our family. Then I would either have to contact someone in Puerto Rico but my lineage because over there a lot of the paper work was stored in churches. I feel that they are doing all the leg work for you and giving you a starting point. I know its costs money to find out where you came from. 

#5 Chris Blaze

Chris Blaze

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

I doubt I would find any of my relatives because I don't even know my living ones, so it's useless for me to try.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

National Geographic offered several years ago, and may still do, for something like $120 to do a dna test for me and I did it.

Disappointing....told me nothing that I didn't already know or anyone else would know by just looking at me.

Hey, my ancestors are European...and like all Europeans, sometime in the past they migrated from Asia or Africa. Of course,

all human species can be traced to Africa.

I look at it as a contribution to an organization that I respect....so it was still well spent.

In case you don't know...if your ancestors are European or some northern African and some Asian descent....then you most likely

have some Neanderthal ancestors, too. Yep...some hanky panky goin' on in the last 200,000 years.

Edited by buddy215, 19 March 2014 - 09:45 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users