Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Troubles

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PsvyXloneAeon

PsvyXloneAeon

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

I recently began experiencing BSODs, and most of the time, each one would identify something else as a problem (From what I remember, "Memory Management" was one, but "Kernel Data Inpage Error" was at the time the most common one, but as of now it is the ONLY one that appears). The BSOD's would even result in an issue where upon starting the computer again, it would not recognize my hard drive, whereby I would have to restart the computer again for it to recognize the hard drive. I decided that my old hard drive must be getting old, so I decided to swap it out for a new one.

This hard drive is brand new. I bought it about 8 months ago as a backup. I still get BSOD's every 3 hours or so. Every morning when I wake up, it's stuck on a BSOD, attemting to initialize a crash dump, but never making one. There are no dumps to upload, because it's not making them. It just stays frozen on the BSOD screen.

Here are the things I've already done to isolate the problem. I've run Chkdsk, Memtest, Malwarebytes, Avast, and I've monitored temps in Speedfan. I also tried to update windows (which did nothing) and update the drivers for NVIDIA (aso did nothing). None of these have yielded any sort of indication as to why this would be happening. All of these tests passed without a problem, scanned without any results, so I'm at a loss here.

Reproducing the problem is difficult, as it varies greatly. I was able to write an entire paper over the course of nearly five hours without a BSOD, yet shortly after I stopped, it ended up crashing. Something tells me that it has something to do with my computer/hard disk entering an idle state.
I did notice that when I took one of my RAM sticks out to test if it was one of my slots (I only have 1GB total. If you have to know, I'm still saving money to buy more. I used to have 6G but those burned out), the BSOD's seemed to subside. They still happened, but not as often.

So, does anyone have any idea as to what is happening? If it suddenly decides to start making crash dumps, I'll post them but I really don't have much to offer besides that. WhoCrashed tells me that crash dumps are enabled, but there are no valid dumps to analyze. So that sucks.

Browsers are working fine, a bit clunky considering that I only have half a gig of ram in my rig. I'll try those scans, but this is a new hard drive, I don't see how this would be infected, it was BSODing the second I put it in.

So here's the rundown of what each individual program gave me:

RKill ran quickly and told me that no issues were found with anything except for when it checked the registry for malware related settings:
 * Explorer Policy Removed:  NoActiveDesktopChanges [HKLM]
Backup Registry file created at:
 C:\Users\Studio\Desktop\rkill\rkill-12-05-2013-07-01-24.reg
Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.
That was the only thing RKill gave me.

RogueKiller identified six entries in the registry that it considered problematic, though all of them are pointed towards what seem to be
required windows operating files. Four of them are in the Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System folder and the other are in the
Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel folder. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with this information,
as I don't see a readily obvious course of action for fixing it, though I do see things underneath the options bar. I assume these are the
choices I have of remedying the problem? If these are, I'm not sure of what to do. I'm not familiar with RogueKiller's methods, and don't
know which action I should take (delete, fix hose, fix proxy, fix DNS, fix shortcuts).
RogueKiller also found something strange in the MBR tab. At the bottom of the page, it says this:

3.....|......|.........Ph...........~..|.............V.U.F...F...A..U..]r...U.u.....t..F.f`.~..t&fh....f.v.h..h.|h..h...B.V.................|.V..v..N..n...fas..N.u..~..........U2..V...]...>.}

U.un.v....u.....d......`.|....d.u.......f#.u;f..TCPAu2....r,fh....fh....fh....fSfSfUfh....fh.|..fah.....Z2...|.................2.......<.t.............+..d..$...$..Invalid partition

table.Error loading operating system.Missing operating system...c{.:..[..

User = LL1 ... OK!
User = LL2 ... OK!

I didn't know if this was relevant or not, I figured it would be useful if it is.
A secondary scan for Malwarebytes told me that there were 5 suspicious files. Three are "PUP.Optional.OpenCandy" with no action taken
(each one points to an EXE file that is kept in a folder that I put on flash drives that contain programs I may need on the go, which means
they are used regularly without a problem). Another one was a "Trojan.Agent.ck" (This points to my sketchbook software program which I
know isn't a virus. I don't quite uderstand why it was identified as a Trojan...) The last one pointed to a file in my favorites folder that
identified it as a (rogue.link). No action was taken for this either. I removed the Trojan and Rogue.Link and both were removed successfully.
Kapersky TDSSKiller yielded no results.

I haven't run the Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit scan yet, I doubt my computer will finish the scan without it BSODing.

Mod Edit:  Combined posts, moved topic to MRL, appropriate forum for malware issues.  Please see if you can a DDS log and post it to the moved topic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2013 - 01:58 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to MRL - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

step1.gif In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/516511 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

step2.gifIf you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.

DDS.com Download Link
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control can be found HERE.

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#3 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hello again!

I haven't heard from you in 5 days. Therefore, I am going to assume that you no longer need our help, and close this topic.

If you do still need help, please send a Private Message to any Moderator within the next five days. Be sure to include a link to your topic in your Private Message.

Thank you for using Bleeping Computer, and have a great day!

Mod Edit:  Reopened per OP PM - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 17 December 2013 - 07:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users