Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Free

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Al_graze

Al_graze

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:55 AM

Hey guys,

Ive been using AVG Free AV for a while now and I've been quite satisfied with its performance; however, like a week ago I started noticing that the AVG icon in the system task bar turned black and white and required me to restart (after the 2.6 MB update) in order to finish the update. No big deal, I know thats what is supposed to happen, but during this week everyday, if not twice a day sometimes, the black and white icon reappears and I have to restart. I keep on checking for new updates, but AVG always says its up to date...

Thinking it probably hasnt automatically updated correctly, I went to the AVG website but it stated that a manual update is NOT recommended, and I really dont know which update to pick: AVG Manual Update

I checked for malware but nothing came up with Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, Ad-Aware SE, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft Windows Defender, CWShredder, Bitdefender and Panda ActiveScan.

PC (Intel Pentium III) Windows XP Professional + SP2 and 512MB of RAM

Edited by Al_graze, 04 May 2006 - 11:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:15 PM

a reinstall of the complete program should do the trick.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Al_graze

Al_graze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:33 PM

Thanks buddy215, that was going to be my next move if I couldnt figure any way around it...

I just finished reinstalling AVG Free, and things seem to be working perfectly. Thanks man!

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:36 PM

buddy215 is probably right.
I was updating my fathers AVG on Monday and it was doing wierd things too.
It would keep downloading the update after it already said 100% complete, On multiple reboots, windows would consistantly "update system files", etc.
I uninstalled\reinstalled and it was fine.
May be coincidence but the latest program version (7.1.392) is now Vista compatable.

EDIT: oops, see you already did it. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 04 May 2006 - 01:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users