Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive structure not right

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I noticed this today.  It appears that a sync while trying to back up my c drive has messed with the c drive structure.  Can anyone confirm this and recommend how I fix this.  I can delete what I know shouldn't be there but I'm not sure how to get back what should be there.  Thanks for any help.

Attached File  computer structure.jpg   32.59KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

Since no one seems to have an answer to this maybe I can get an answer to another question.  Can a repair be done to Win 7 and what effect will it have on my programs?  Thanks for any help.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:14 AM

What is it in the image that you are questioning?

#4 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

I am not familiar with structure under C in Win 7.  Obviously some of the items listed are the same as XP but others are not.  I have some items listed there that I know should not be and have removed 4 items that are listed under C in the picture.  The are Bills Docs, Bills Pictures, Seagate and Video which is related to Seagate.  I would like to know if I need to remove anything else or is everything else suppose to be there.  Thanks.  

Edited by Bill_in_Texas, 06 December 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

So you're asking about folders, not disc structure - is that correct? If so, you should be able to safely delete the long file name folder with numbers and letters at the top (likely leftover from a recent Windows update), the Nvidia folder (created when installing drivers), and the perflog folder (though if perflog monitoring is enabled it will likely be recreated) - though why you want to delete anything is unclear to me if you aren't having any problems with your system. For future reference, if you aren't certain whether or not you can safely delete a file or folder just either rename it or move it to a temporary location, reboot, and if you don't have any problems after a while you can permanently delete it. More important, if you don't already do so you should have a good backup schedule in place. If you create images of your drive(s) on a regular basis you never have to worry about what you delete - you'll always have a recent image to restore.

#6 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

I looked over your screen shot, and do not see much of a problem. "Bills Docs" and "Bills Pictures" are more personalized than I am used to, but I work in a corporate environment. Also, the software "softplan" either was a customized install path to the root of C or was the default for some reason - I am not familiar with it. An EZTransfer from a Windows XP system might account for it. Bill, if the Windows 7 system is booting OK with no errors, my advice is to continue using it as is.

#7 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

Thank you both for the help and input.  I had problems with this newly built system freezing but as the windows updates were completed through the first week it subsided except when I would attempt a full backup of the system.  I knew looking at the folders under C that some shouldn't be there so had concerns of what may have changed since the machine started randomly freezing again. As mentioned the change in folders was due to a sync backup which I should not have done. I believe I was close to having my freezing issue resolve but have backed up in the attempt it seems.  After the OP here I restored the system to Dec 2 and will begin from that point now.  

Allan thanks for the info on what can be removed and the tip on handling files and folders I am unsure of.  I will bookmark this thread for future reference if need be.  I am going to attempt a full backup again.  I have been able to perform a good backup of important documents, photos and drawings from my Softplan software.  

Will I can be a neat freak when it comes to organization.  LOL  You are right that the Bills Doc and pictures are personalized and redundant as they are set up in libraries already and take up alot of space. They are also in a backup on external HD.  That is the reason I deleted them.   I assume when you are talking about Softplan that you are refering to it being outside of the programs folder.  If so, it has always installed that way since I began using it in 2003.  

Thank you both again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users