Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wlan Usb Adapter Problem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 arielsages

arielsages

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:35 AM

Hi!
I have this following problem: in my house we have wireless internet. In order to connect my desktop PC to the net I bought myself an USB Adapter ZyDAS IEEE 802.11 b+g.
I cant configurate to enter the network with the application software that came with the adapter, it just doesnt work, but I manage to connect to the net if I let Windows do it. (I have winXP prof. ed.)
The thing is that even if Im connected, if I take a look at the available wireless networks on my PC I dont find the connection of this house. While on the other laptops in this house you can see it.
I wouldnt care about that if it wasnt so that, sometimes, the connection is just interrupted and then directly goes on again, and then off and then on etc.etc... Sometimes it can work for 1-2 hours without any problems and sometimes it just doesnt work at all for a while.
Now the question is: does this depend on my adapter (should I get another one, like Netgear or D-Link)? Or on my router? Or on my internet or everything? I think my adapter has 54Mbit/s and my router (DrayTek2500We) has 11Mbit/s. Is that a problem?
We have 2 routers in this house (dont ask me why, but they are connected to eachother: DrayTek 2500We and Fritz Box.
I hope somebody out there can help me.
Thanks!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:58 PM

those are unfamiliar names to me. i have seen issues regarding 802.11b and 802.11g speeds. usually as in your case, if the router is a "b', and the card is a "g", then you can have conflicts. it isnt as bad the other way, the router generally auto uses both standards. BTW, sometimes windows wireless works better, i use it on mine, and i have a linksys pci 802.11g card. make sure you have SP2 and all your updates instralled from microsoft too, they have some network patches, especially from sp1 to sp2.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 arielsages

arielsages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:53 AM

yes i have all the updates, i have SP2. and its written that my adapter is b+g, then it shouldnt make any problems. I really dont understand it!

#4 arielsages

arielsages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:41 AM

BTW, if I use windows wireless, what is the best configuration I have to do? In the properties of my connection these are the options I have: "network authentication" i chose "open" and not "divided", under "authentication" i can choose "smart card" or "protected EAP" and then there are more options i dont know anthing about. What do you say? Sorry, but my Windows is in italian so i translated it to english, but probably on the english version these options have a bit different names.
BTW, i have completely exit my usb adapter software and use ONLY the windows configurations. For some reason I dont manage to make it work trying to configurate the net with the software.

#5 arielsages

arielsages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:53 AM

one more thing, just so you have all the infos: when I try to access the net via the adapter-software, everything seems to go alright (it finds my net and connects to it) but when it comes to trying to find the IP adress there it stops and it tells me "invalid IP adress". But when i acces the net via windows it works sometimes and sometimes not. Why is that??

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:39 PM

do you have any encryption on your router?
WEP, WPA/PSK?
the answers depend on your routers wireless configuration, do you have a decent signal between your usb adapter and the router?
for wireless, i have found that if i make the adapter have a static ip, i can depend on the signal more, less droppage, no ip renewal if i do lose connection temporarily

#7 arielsages

arielsages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:10 AM

hi!
i have the WEP encryption.
how do i make it a static ip then? But i believe i have already static ip, but im not sure, how do i check that?

#8 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:14 AM

network connections in the control panel.
find the wireless connection you are using.(you should have only 1, so thats easy!)
right click>properties>highlight"internet protocol tcp/ip">properties>select use the following blah blah blah.
make sure you put in the appropriate information.
to get the current network information.....
click on start>run type in "cmd" hit enter, this will open up a "dos" screen. type in "ipconfig /all"
this will give you all the info you need to fill in the blanks for a ststic ip! if you want, you can put the routers ip in for a dns server, ex:192.168.1.1, (whatever it is), or you can find out the dns servers your isp is using and put them there, less directing for your router.

hint>if you log into your router, under status page you will likely find isp dns servers' ip info.

bonne chance!

#9 arielsages

arielsages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:08 AM

hi!
thanks for the info. but i checked it and I already have static IP, so obviously this can not be the problem.

#10 arielsages

arielsages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:23 AM

the strange thing is that i dont manage to enter my router DrayTek VIgor2500We knofiguration on the web browser. Im reading in the manual of the router that you need to put an IP adress in to enter the configuration but my browser never finds the page.

#11 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:24 AM

are you putting the same address in?
start>run>type in "cmd' hit enter>type in "ipconfig" hit enter.
what is your gateway's address?
maybe that is the problem, you should try to make your ip dynamic for a while to see if that helps. or maybe you dont have the correct info in set as static. go back to where u checked for a static addy, then select "automatically obtain ip address" and same for dns server on the bottom. get an ip address, thencheck above start>run.........> ipconfig , to find out your connection info.
see if it helps

#12 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:29 AM

intrested to find out as well the way you have the 2 routers hooked together as well. do t hey use the same network info? which connects directly to the net? are both router addresses the same? ex:192.168.1.1? if so, they will have to be configured to different settings. are they both w/s? 2 routers can be a bit confusing, remember your computer has to ,connect to router, find the correct path to the net, through 2 routers, hoping boith routers are configured to work with each other, and the net. so it can be a bit weird.

#13 arielsages

arielsages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:47 AM

ok, when i put in my gateway adress i come to the Fritz!Box routers configuration. This is the one which is directly connected to the internet and the phonelines, this is the one where my internetdealer is. But i dont come to the other router (DrayTek) wich is the router that allows me to surf wireless.
i tried to disconnect the FritzBox but then no internet or phones were working. so it seems like i need both, unfortunately. if i connect directly the DrayTek router to the box in the wall it doesnt work and our phones doesnt work.

#14 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:21 PM

are you using your fritz box as a router or simply a modem? do u use VOIP as well? if u used your fritz box as a modem only (see configuration page ) instead of a router too, you could plug all wired and wireless devices into your other router and use it as your gateway.you will have to configure the router to connect using the info that u got from your aISP. this may not help your disconnect issues, it is just good housekeeping, and it may help with the attenuation. for better results, you may want to try another router, 802.11g instead of "b".the two standards are suposed to be compliant, yet, i have seen issues regarding it. i hope this helped a bit.

#15 arielsages

arielsages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:16 AM

i think the fritz box is a modem and has also VOIP. and everything that is wireless works only when the other router (DrayTek) is on. i cant plug my desktop pc directly to it cause im too far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users