Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway laptop. Cannot enter BIOS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adnrew

adnrew

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

I can't seem to enter the BIOS on my laptop.
It's a Gateway NE56R34u running WIndows 8.

I did get into the BIOS once, many many moons ago, to adjust the Fn keys, but I don't remember what I did.
I'd like to boot from USB to do a memtest, but I cannot enter the BIOS.

According to this manual: http://www.microcenter.com/images/shared/products/customercare/948422_NE56R34U.pdf
the F2 key should do it.
I've tried tapping at different intervals and holding it down. Nothing seems to work. All the F# keys don't seem to do anything here.

Unless there's something I'm missing, I'm not sure what to do.
There's been some BSOD's that I'd like to troubleshoot, but it all involves getting to the BIOS or the Boot Menu. Both of which I can't access.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

Try tapping, don't hold down, F2 as soon as you press the power button, you can stop when you hear a beep.

If you're looking for the Windows boot menu start tapping F8 after the machine starts booting

#3 adnrew

adnrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

I couldn't boot into safe mode or anything.

I did just figure this out, though.

In case anyone else runs into this problem, there's an option in Windows 8 to restart into the BIOS.
From there you can change to Legacy BIOS and run normal boot tests and things like always.
Here's the link I found:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode
From that point, you can use F2 and F12 and F8 like you normally would.

Sorry that this assumed hardware issue turned out to be a software issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users