Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win8 questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Doopy

Doopy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

My old faithful has finally died and I'm struggling with my new confuser.  The new confuser did not come with any Windows user information.

Old:

Gateway laptop NV series

Windows 7 Home Premium

New:

Acer Aspire 5V

Windows 8 w/touchscreen

How do I determine if I have 8 or 8.1.  I cannot seem to find the correct clicks to find the release info.

Is there a way to delete some of the touch screen boxes on the start page?  And how do I modify the ones I want to keep?

During the "New Computer Set-Up" routine it always asks for my MICROSOFT email address or my MICROSOFT account information.  I have never had a Microsoft account or email account.  Is there a way to set up my new confuser without having the Microsoft stuff?

I cannot download and install Firefox for my browser.  Is this another way MICROSOFT is trying to punish non-microsoft-believers?

I have tried to download a few small utility apps and each time my new confuser tells me that the download has been interrupted or it simply says it cannot download the file(s).  More MICROSOFT crap?

The frustration is mounting.  Can you smell the smoke?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hey Doopy!

I cannot help with all but I can help with your first question.

To determine if you have Windows 8/8.1 is in the same way as Windows 7 except there are different steps.

(Using touch screen)

Swipe the screen from the right hand side to the left to reveal 'Search:Share:Start:Devices:Settings' and click 'Search"

Then type in 'Computer'

Then right click Computer and down the bottom of the screen find 'Properties' click that

Then you'll see 'Windows edition' here you'll find your Windows version.

(without using touch screen)

Move your mouse into the bottom right hand corner to reveal 'Search:Share:Start:Devices:Settings' and click 'Search"

Then type in 'Computer'

Then right click Computer and down the bottom of the screen find 'Properties' click that

Then you'll see 'Windows edition' here you'll find your Windows version.

==============

Try this link from the Microsoft website on advice and help on Windows 8/8.1 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/getting-around-tutorial

Thanks,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Bleeping Computer has some excellent tutorials about Windows 8.

I urge you to look through them as they will probably be able to answer many of the questions you will have about Win 8.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8/

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

Another way to check your windows version, go to the start menu and type "run", click run and type "WINVER" (without the quotes)

To remove tiles from the start menu, right click on the tile and select unpin from start menu at the bottom (you can select multiple tiles at the same time to unpin)

To add tiles to the start menu, open the start menu and right click near the bottom, click on "all programs" find the program entry you want to appear in the start menu and right click on it and select pin to start.

Firefox is completely compatible with windows 8 (personally i think its been a bit buggy lately) after you open IE10 (or IE11) press the F12 key to open the developer panel. Change the browerser mode to IE9. You should be able to load the web pages correctly and download anything you want. I just tried the firefox installer on IE10 and IE11 it worked fine.

Make sure your antivirus software is not blocking your downloads.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Doopy

Doopy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

Thanks Chad.  I was able to download Firefox by going to a neighbor's house.  He has a super high speed internet connection and my download worked OK.  But while attempting several other downloads I got this message . . .

C:/ bla-bla-bla .exe part could not be saved because the source code could not be read.  Try again later or contact your server administrator.

I get this message every time I try to do a download now.  Is there a setting that I'm overlooking in my internet communication options?  I'm puzzled.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

Something else is messed up in your install. Try a SFC /scan now, to see if that fixes anything.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

Were you getting the error at home or at his house?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users