Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee help

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

Has anyone figured out a sure fire way to get rid of McAfee!!!!

It seems to come bundled on a lot of OEM stuff, it came on my Toshiba and Acer lap tops.  I had -0- issues getting it off the Acer when I reloaded it a couple years back, the Toshiba was also simple.  Now my recent plight!  On my Acer which is a mini with an SSD for travel I was checking disk space it was down to 15%, I decided to scrub and reload.  That is when the Beast McAfee popped up, it is bundled on the Acer disks.  I had -0- issue getting it off the last time I redid the machine, but this time it is driving me nuts.  I follow the instructions to a "T" after all it has always worked in the past, well not this round!!!!!  Like I said followed the instructions to a "T" I have since ended up reloading three times.  I have issues with IE, but FF is Ok, MSE will not update even using the manual option from MS.  I have done my absolute best trying to clear out the registry, though most McAfee keys are locked.  Something must have changed as I had -0- issues in the past ridding mine and quite a few other machines  of  McAfee, trash like this should be illegal, I have many hours into this researching here and on the web plus the reloads.

Phil     PARDON the rant but this has me going!

Mod Edit, moved from XP to Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Software ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 05 December 2013 - 10:52 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

Have you tried this?

How to uninstall or reinstall McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)
How to uninstall your products using MCPR.exe
McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool Download
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

Yes tried all of the above, I have spent hours and hours including 3 reloads.  I did a good digging through of the registry, using permissions I deleted all the keys.  Each time I thought I beat it, the problem may be that I do not activate McAfee first. 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

You can always check with McAfee Technical Support or ask at McAfee Communities.

#5 Brian81

Brian81

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

Here is how I have been getting it off

C:\program files\McAfee\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe /forceuninstall

Then depending on the version I run on of the command from this article

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52648 leaving of the /q so I can see it complete

#6 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

OldPhil,

My son was just laughing at your frustration over McAfee...We had a issue with McAfee that took over 11 days, 4 restores, lost drivers, and losing one's sanity over how this program could be so difficult to remove. Oh and this was with McAfee's help...which brings up the point, do not let them get their sticky little fingers in your computer...they don't know either, how to get it out...

I basically have McAfee out of this computer but not completely, it is out enough that I was able to get new security loaded without any issues. (That took my son a day to clean up that mess...) It wraps its self around every blooming thing that is in your computer, and when you try to remove? Won't let you cause it is encrypted in files that the computer needs to operate. And if I used the recovery disk? McAfee is there, waiting...

I agree with you, there ought to be a law against McAfee, Nortons, and any other security suite from being loaded on a new computer without your permission.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

Computer manufacturers enter into agreements with anti-virus vendors (i.e. Norton, McAfee) to install trial versions of their products as part of whatever other bundled software comes preinstalled. This allows them to advertise the computer includes anti-virus protection...even though it is only a trial version. The anti-virus vendors believes the trial will encourage folks to use a paid product, rather than remove and replace so they make money. It's all part of the big business enterprise system.

For Symantec and McAfee, ‘Arms Race’ for Security

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Ok I have just completed the 4th reload, then I followed Brian81's posts recommendation.  Was asked if I wanted to uninstall the product I hit yes and got a second message saying the package could not be opened and to verify it exists.  I guess I may have to try activating it which I am strongly against, this is off the wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

You may want to uninstall MSE while you go through that process...just save the setup file on your desktop or a folder you can find it. This will help to avoid conflicts and when you finally rid the system of McAfee, you can reinstall MSE before connecting back to the net.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I did a full clean reload, I went through the process of activating McAfee.  That is the only thing I have been avoiding, I will try MCPR tomorrow and see what happens

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

Prior to running MCPR I went on to McAfee site created an account or so I thought, when done got a message that I needed to purchase the product.  I understand why an old OEM bloat ware copy can not be used to have an account.  You must have an active account to rid yourself of this junk waqre.  I guess I now have no options, being unactivated it cannot be removed. 

Yes I did run MCPR again to no avail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This AM I clicked on the McAfee site trying for more ideas, I did not find any help.  I hit the back button several times tring to get back to Google, I had to type in the search box to get away.  I wonder what the possibilities of a class action suit, they surely deserve some sort of legal action.

#12 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

OldPhil

I did have an a/c with McAfee...what had happen was this...this computer has always had McAfee as its security. And yes, I know,  what was I thinking, but I really did not feel like going through the hassle of removing it. Well, McAfee decides to do a major upgrade, ie all they did was bloat their program out more and my old computer could not handle it (not enough ram) and crashed. And thus began my nightmare...and that is why I stated that McAfee, themselves, could not remove their program completely from my system! What there ought to be a law against is writing a program that does not have an uninstall program included with it.

Class action suit? I'm there, OldPhil, where do you want me to sign?

By the by...my son told me that he would commit me if I ever installed McAfee on a computer again...

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Here I am again!  I am giving up!  I have spent way to many hours, I think the only way to get out of this mess which I stated before was to buy and install a clean copy of XP.  Just for giggles I am doing my 5th reload with the factory discs, not sure I may leave it that way for awhile.  Frankly I will only use this lap top to check my mail on the server while on vacation, just maybe I will get away with no protection.  I will try to find a cheap copy of XP sp3 to get rid of the madness.

I do understand the need for anti virus manufacturers to protect their products, but there should be an out for those not wanting their stuff.  Just unbelievably unfair!

Phil

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

Norton AV came preinstalled with trial versions on the last two computers I purchased. It was a pain to remove it but fortunately I was successful.

#15 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

OldPhil,

I could be dead wrong on this, but my Windows XP disk just came with service pack 2 and I had to download from Microsoft the service pack 3...so you just might need to find a WinXP disk with service pack 2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users