Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi folks-Windows 8 Shutdown Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ter67

ter67

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

Ive recently purchases a asus tower with windows 8 and i cant seem to find the "start" button on it so i cant seem to shut down apart from just presing the power up button on anmd of to get access and to close the machine ,never had windows 8 and was wondering if it was anything to do with that ?? ,sorry if ive put this in the wrong place thanking you very much .

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 December 2013 - 10:42 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum. Also edited title to reflect the issue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

You will have to download and install a 3rd party program in order to have the Start Menu on your desktop screen.

Read this for more information http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

For shutting down without a Start Menu please read this tutorial, the Windows 8 section http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-shut-down-or-restart-windows/#windows8

There are many other tutorials for Windows 8. I urge you to look through them as they will answer many questions you may have about Windows 8. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/

#3 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hey ter67!

This would be because you are running Windows 8. Microsoft removed the start button in Windows 8 with the new style OS (can't remember its name). 

You can read information on Windows 8 here on the Microsoft website - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/getting-around-tutorial

============

Also there are ways you can get your start button back, but its entirely up to you look here - http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57496506-292/how-to-get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

Good luck

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

Here is the solution that I use on my Media machine.  Create a new short cut on your desktop.  Use the following command in the shortcut SHUTDOWN -S -T 1

This will shut down the computer in 1 second.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Check out BC’s tutorial

How to shut down or restart Windows

Select Windows 8

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hello ter67. Please do not create multiple topics about the same issue. Doing so can make it more difficult to help you.

I moved the replies from your other topic in to this one, then deleted the other topic.

#7 ter67

ter67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hi so sorry folks for putting it in the wrong place but in future i will double check to where i`m sending them cheers .
And to everyone who has helped me about the windows 8 "no restart" button as its very annoying and ive never came across this type of thing before ,so thanks again guys n gals much appreciated .

Ter67

Edited by ter67, 05 December 2013 - 07:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users