Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Code 43 Errors in Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 methanol

methanol

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hello, I have encountered that error in device manager under my video card Gigabyte R9 270X WFOC. I just recently ordered new PC and the card was running fine for first days. As few days passed by pc started to freez at random. After rebooting pc usualy starts with integrated video and manager says windows has stopped this device (Code 43).

Freezes occur at random, sometimes few hours after booting (during watching movies/browsing net/games etc), sometimes during booting windows the other time system stops video card before booting windows.

Could it be motherboard-videocard problem since it is not Windows that stops device (sometimes it boots from integral card)?

I changed video drivers from 13.1 to these that I got on CD, I also downloaded some older ones from web. I updated motherboard BIOS to the newest. Before errors I tested card with 3DMark and everything seemed fine.

3DMark from 3.11.2013 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7424306

PC setup:

-mobo GA-B85M-D3H
-Video GV-R927XOC-2GD
-CPU Intel i5-4440
-Goodram 8GB 1600mhz dimm10 (1x)
-HDD WD10EZEX 1TB
-Corsair VS450

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:30 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I am sure you might have tried this already, but in case you haven't, I'm posting a link to Microsoft with directions for attempting to correct the problem.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725873(v=ws.10).aspx

Now, to answer your question about your video defaulting back to the on-board video processor over your Gigabyte R9 slotted video card. If the video card worked well in another system but is encountering issues in this current computer, there is a possibility you stressed the video card during extraction or installtion causing an intermittent electrical connection. What was the other computer's power supply's output ratings over this current 450 Watt one? You have made sure that the video card is seated properly in the video card slot? Video drivers are up to date?

The errors are usually the result of an inadequate power supply, mostly on the 12 volt rails, perhaps a 500 Watt PSU with better 12 Volt Rail rating was in the older computer and that is why it ran flawlessly?

Sorry for throwing many questions or possibilities at you, but we have to start with a thought process here, that is the best way to arrive at possible answers.

Does your system run stable enough with that video card long enough for me to ask that you run other programs for me that might help me diagnose your problem better?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 methanol

methanol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

Pardon me, perhaps I didn't express myself clearly english isn't my mother tongue. Whole PC including case and video card is brand new.  I didn't physically tamper with hardware after assembling, everything ran smoothly untill 3rd or 4th day,

Microsoft resolution did not help. I also tried installing other operation systems: Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate

I doubt more than 450Watt is needed to power up my machine although I cant exclude it. I searched for bigger power unit to perform tests but I cant find any friend that has one.

Video card looks quite comfortable in its slot. What worries me more is motherboard that is slightly deflected by CPU heat sinker. After installing it I found it has to be that way.

I changed video drivers few times I had at least 3 different models.

I believe I can run system with video card for a few hours, errors are really random. Last time I used R9 270 system was stable for 3-4h.

My roommates new box just arrived (I didn't think it would be just after I made this post), I will be able to test my card later on and I will update this post.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

Thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding.

I have bought brand new video cards before that exhibited video artifacts and the random blue screen of death. I have never seen a blue screen in Windows 7 until I bought that video card.

If I put a different card in, I never seen a single crash. It turned out that the video processor chip was faulty, somewhere along the line a manufacturing defect in those chips was allowed to pass by quality control and all the cards in stock were coming back to the store with the same issue. I ended up buying a different video card on line because the store only sold just that one model number.

I am not sure if you are in the USA, but here we have a chain store called Staples and that is where I bought that defective video card. They do not stock large assortments of internal computer hardware, they mostly sell completed systems and office supplies.

If your card works flawlessly in your roommate's computer, the problem could be related to a faulty motherboard. Trust me when I say brand new, unopened electronics can arrive from the factory with a mechanical defect. They may claim each device is checked for quality assurance, but that is not always the case these days. Quantity is more important than quality and with electronics being so cheap at the retail store, no one really complains, if it don't work, it's thrown away and a new one is bought.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 December 2013 - 11:34 AM.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 methanol

methanol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

Seems like everything is working fine in other environment. The only error we encountered twice was "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered". Beside this there is no sign of Code 43 error.

What are mine possibilities in that case? Any advices?

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Seems like everything is working fine in other environment. The only error we encountered twice was "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered".

I ran into that error as well with one of my video cards, I did much research on it too. It appears that this can be corrected by editing a value the Windows registry. The registry is not a good place to play around in. I'd say it is a pain having that flashing and error appearing when you're doing something important, but won't damage your computer system.

What we have here unfortunately is a motherboard or power supply issue within your computer system. Is there anyway your friend can install their power supply into your computer system and see if you have better results?

There are a number of other things that come to my professional mind as to what could be causing this issue if it is not the power supply. One such solution is a BIOS firmware upgrade to the motherboard. Some newer BIOS updates usually support newer video cards. Also, BIOS settings can have an effect as well.

If you could get your system up and running again so I can have you post the following information, I will be able to have a better look at your computer system and what BIOS firmware revision your motherboard is currently using.
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.
  • Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!
I'll be waiting for your next reply.

Bruce

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 December 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#7 methanol

methanol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vm02OwTzJbPBJjKGZJoJcaq

Some information is in my native language (as I mentioned earlier English isnt my prior).

One such solution is a BIOS firmware upgrade to the motherboard. Some newer BIOS updates usually support newer video cards. Also, BIOS settings can have an effect as well.

BIOS should be up to date as I upgraded it last month while looking for Code 43 solution. (2013-10-24)

What I found out was my RAM setting was 9-9-9-20 while it should be CL10 10-10-10-28. I have changed it yesterday and I have installed my video card just now.

Edited by methanol, 10 December 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#8 methanol

methanol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

Bumping this thread to inform that my Code 43 Error is no longer present (almost 48 hours and going on). Changing RAM settings helped.

Thank you very much for your time. commitment and help Bruce. I will recommened this site further as it provides the best support I have ever seen ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users