Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freezes After rkill64, SUPERAntiSpyware, ComboFix

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

I'm Stumped!  My symptoms:

Can't boot from HDD - "bootmgr is missing".  Must go to boot menu (F8) to boot.
Can't boot from CD - "can't find\bcdw\bccw.bin" or other files.
Combofix reboots OK but hangs before finishing post-boot report.
Random freezes.
Can't start EaseUS scheduled system backup (nor a new backup).

HELP  ...  Me ... please :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

Can you please supply us the specs  of your system? If it's a brand name item the make and model number, if it's a custom, the mobo, processor, RAM, power supply, video card etc. Also were there any symptoms that has led up to this?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

I'm Stumped!  My symptoms:

Can't boot from HDD - "bootmgr is missing".  Must go to boot menu (F8) to boot.
Can't boot from CD - "can't find\bcdw\bccw.bin" or other files.
Combofix reboots OK but hangs before finishing post-boot report.
Random freezes.
Can't start EaseUS scheduled system backup (nor a new backup).

HELP  ...  Me ... please :smash:

Curious...if you can't boot...then how did you determine these other symtoms listed?

Louis

#4 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

Louis - First symptom should read :Can't boot normally from HDD - "bootmgr is missing".  Must go to boot menu (F8) to boot."  There are several ways to boot Win7.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

One word makes a difference, thanks :).

Does that mean that you can boot into safe mode?

If so...do the freezes occur in safe mode?

Do you know whether your system is infected?  Why did you run ComboFix and RKill?

Sounds to me as if you have a malware problem, not a Win 7 issue. 

Please follow Steps 6-8 of Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html , taking care to post the new topic in the forum containing the Prep Guide, not here.  The folks there should be able to assist you in determining whether you have a current malware issue. 

Once that is done, this topic will be closed.  In the event you still have system issues after your malware topic is resolved...just send me a PM and I will reopen this topic and we will pursue a different course.

Louis

#6 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hi KingdomSeeker:

Apologies for my tardy reply.  Here's what you asked for:

• Operating System:  Win7x64 Ultimate SP1
  • Antivirus Software:  SUPERAntiSpyware
  • Firewall:  Kaspersky IS13.0.1.4190
  • Computer:  Custom
  • CPU:  AMD64 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~3013 Mhz
  • Motherboard:  ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1804, 2010/09/16
  • Ram:  DDR 8.00 GB
  • Storage:  4 HDD - 8 TB
  • Video Card:  NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
  • Soundcard:  Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)
  • Power Supply:  Corsair TX750W

I updated my profile with this list on 05 Dec.  Also, I followed the instructions by hamluis and submitted the report.  To date I'm waiting for a response.

Thanks

MB :smash:

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

Your logs have been posted here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516486/probable-rootkit-infection/

Did you follow the instructions from HelpBot regarding still needing help?

Since you have posted the logs

Please refrain from asking for further help from other members or staff until the Malware Removal Team has checked your posted log. The Malware Removal Team work very hard to investigate a unique solution to your problem and you will receive individual expert assistance. This takes time and effort so we ask you to please be patient while waiting for assistance and NOT to make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member. Any modifications you make on your own can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, following advice outside of that post may cause confusion for the team member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

The Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean. If you followed any other advice already, please ensure you inform the Malware Removal Team Team Helper when they respond to assist you with your log. This will help them know what has been done and they probably will ask for an updated log.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.