Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No PS/2 Ports and USB Mouse and USB Keyboard Failure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boweasel

boweasel

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

When I boot this Dell XPS 400 (XP Media Center) I get a BIOS keyboard failure.  When the signon screen displays, not only do I have no keyboard, but I have no mouse.

Both mouse and keyboard work in other PCs, and of course the working mouse and keyboard from other PCs do not work in this one.

I have unplugged everything and held in the power button to clear out electrical problems

I have replaced the CMOS battery.  All this did was keep me from even getting to the signon screen.  After Keyboard failure, I now get floppy diskette seek failure, followed by Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.

Of course I can do neither - I have no keyboard.  I have tried both mouse and keyboard in every USB port.

I cannot seem to find anybody who has a PCI card for PS/2 peripherals..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

Have you tried going into your BIOS to ensure that USB sockets are enabled ? If, of course, the BIOS recognises the keyboard long enough for you to tap the 'F8' or 'F12' key. I don't think that you will find a PCI card with PS/2 connectors.

It may be the only thing you can do is to use a Linux boot CD to start your computer. I have used Puppy linux for this with success, and you can get it here, along with instructions on how to make a bootable CD and how to use it :

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Make sure your keyboard and mouse are plugged in, boot up the computer, put the Puppy disc in the CD drive and restart the computer. It will now boot from the CD and, as it loads the necessary drivers, your mouse and keyboard should work. This will at least enable you to back up your data to some external storage while you seek a repair for your problem. If it comes down to replacement, then you will have your data.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 boweasel

boweasel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Have you tried going into your BIOS to ensure that USB sockets are enabled ? If, of course, the BIOS recognises the keyboard long enough for you to tap the 'F8' or 'F12' key. I don't think that you will find a PCI card with PS/2 connectors.

The BIOS does not recognize the keyboard at any point during the boot process, no matter what key I start tapping as I power up.

It may be the only thing you can do is to use a Linux boot CD to start your computer. I have used Puppy linux for this with success, and you can get it here, along with instructions on how to make a bootable CD and how to use it :

No CD is recognized.  Removing the CMOS battery reset the BIOS so the HDD is now number 2 in the boot order, or so I assume.  The floppy diskette drive which no longer exists is apparently first in the boot order, and is giving me the error msg from my original post.  Without a keyboard I possess no ability to change that order.

Edited by boweasel, 08 December 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

So, you can't boot normally because your keyboard and mouse aren't recognised, and you can't change the boot priority sequence for the same reason, and it appears that your USB sockets are not being recognised at boot. Just to check this, you can put Puppy linux on a USB stick and you could try to get it to boot from that.

Unless sombody brighter than I comes along with a better suggestion, I think you are reduced to dismounting your hard drive and slaving it to another computer to rescue your data. And then think about another computer.

Sorry,

Chris Cosgrove

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,608 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

This may or may not work for you. Unplug the power cord from the computer. Press the power button for 60 seconds. Plug the power cord back in and boot the computer. This seems to be a common problem with Dells. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/18438400.aspx?pi21953=1

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:25 AM

^^ Hopefully that'll work for you.  If not, then it seems motherboard replacement is the next option.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 boweasel

boweasel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:16 AM

This may or may not work for you. Unplug the power cord from the computer. Press the power button for 60 seconds. Plug the power cord back in and boot the computer. This seems to be a common problem with Dells.

Thanks, but 'been there, done that'., and as far as booting from a flash drive with any version of Ubuntu (or Windows, for that matter), it just ain't a gonna happen without changing the boot order with F2 or F12.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,608 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

In that very long Dell thread, it was noted that some people had success by hooking up the keyboard to a powered USB hub. That would be the next thing you might want to try. They have some cheap ones on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-7-Port-Hi-Speed-USB-2-0-Hub-Power-Adapter-for-PC-Laptop-Sliver-/270993842142

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

I did find this. I'm not sure where it plugs into the motherboard. I would examine the motherboard first to see if I could identify a connector. It could pay to check with Dell. It sounds as if Your USB Ports are dead.

I would examine them all, In the front and back for physical damage. Do that with the power off. If You see any physical damage , try straightening the Pins in the socket so they do not touch each other or the metal shell. Then try the USB Keyboard in a good USB port and see if it works. I have seen this on more than one Dell in the past. If there is any damaged USB ports it is important that they be corrected before they kill the Motherboard. In the Past when I found them I filled the port with Hot melt glue after straightening the pins so nothing could ever be plugged in again.

What Seems to happen is that the plastic piece that the USB contacts are supported on breaks off and the next time something is plugged in it mashes the pins together or against the metal shell.

Dell Xps 400 PS2 Add in Card F743C

http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-xps-400-ps2-add-in-card-f743c_i_ltpadddellf743c.aspxF743C-02.JPG

I have seen these adapters used on Optiplex models in the past, Hopefully it will work on Your also. Or to verify You could call Dell and try to purchase a PS2 adapter from them.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 December 2013 - 03:09 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users