Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headset/Notebook Interface Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hi folks,

I have been doing some research on buying some head phones to listen to music on my Lenovo notebook (please see my sig for spec) however as I will probably be using skype in the near future I thought it would be better to buy a headset. The one I like the most is this one here, among other things I like it has a detachable mike. The problem is that it comes with two 3.5mm jack plugs and my notebook has only one 3.5mm aperture which I am currently using to connect speakers. The aperture is described as a combo plug in the user guide.

My questions is, does it look like a wise choice and if so how to a get around the problem... an adapter or should a be looking at another model with a single jack plug?

Any help and advice would be appreciated. 

HARDWARE: Laptop: Lenovo G580 2689 | CPU: Intel® Pentium® CPU B960 @2.2GHz Dual core Sandy Bridge nm Technology | RAM: 6 GB DDR3 Dual Channel | HDD: Hitachi 1TB SATA III | Motherboard: Lenovo G580 (CPU socket - U3E1) | Graphics: Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz) Intel HD Graphics (Lenovo) | Optical Drive: Mat$hita DVD-RAM UJ8D1 | Audio: RealTek High Definition Audio |

SOFTWARE: Windows 10 Home 64 bit | Windows Security Suite | Malwarebytes Free |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

The problem is that it comes with two 3.5mm jack plugs and my notebook has only one 3.5mm aperture which I am currently using to connect speakers.

The audio output for laptops usually comes with one 3.5 mm audio port and a mic input for voice/video calls. The audio port is an alternate usage for headphone/headset and speakers.

Tekken

#3 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

The problem is that it comes with two 3.5mm jack plugs and my notebook has only one 3.5mm aperture which I am currently using to connect speakers.

The audio output for laptops usually comes with one 3.5 mm audio port and a mic input for voice/video calls. The audio port is an alternate usage for headphone/headset and speakers.

Thanks for your reply.

So are you saying that full functionality of the headset can be achieved by plugging in just one of the two jack plugs? 

Edited by goodtyneguy, 05 December 2013 - 10:10 AM.

HARDWARE: Laptop: Lenovo G580 2689 | CPU: Intel® Pentium® CPU B960 @2.2GHz Dual core Sandy Bridge nm Technology | RAM: 6 GB DDR3 Dual Channel | HDD: Hitachi 1TB SATA III | Motherboard: Lenovo G580 (CPU socket - U3E1) | Graphics: Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz) Intel HD Graphics (Lenovo) | Optical Drive: Mat$hita DVD-RAM UJ8D1 | Audio: RealTek High Definition Audio |

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

I think you're out of luck using the jack.  You'll have to check your manual for how the combo jack works.  You would need an adapter to connect something with a speaker and microphone jack.

I'll give you a couple of other options:

1.  USB headset

2.  Bluetooth Headset

Either of those options should work fine for you.  I've owned three Emerson EM510 Stereo Wireless Headsets.  I use them with my iPhone, but have also used them with my computer.

#5 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

I think you're out of luck using the jack.  You'll have to check your manual for how the combo jack works.  You would need an adapter to connect something with a speaker and microphone jack.

I'll give you a couple of other options:

1.  USB headset

2.  Bluetooth Headset

Either of those options should work fine for you.  I've owned three Emerson EM510 Stereo Wireless Headsets.  I use them with my iPhone, but have also used them with my computer.

RKilroy, thank you for your very helpful reply with recommendation. 

I had considered bluetooth headset but was put off by a sales assistant after a phone call to my local PCworld (a UK chain store) when she told me bluetooth was not very reliable. Mind you, she did n't sound to like the sharpest tool in the box.

Anyway you've given me some alternatives to think about, thanks again.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

I had considered bluetooth headset but was put off by a sales assistant

I don't see the issue with bluetooth as lots of people use them for their cell phones.  I use mine mainly to listen to my podcasts and audio books, but could use them for the phone portion also.  I used them on Ventrilo playing WoW. 

Depending on your need for privacy you could go with a boom mic for your voice and use the computer speakers to hear the person you're talking to.  I bring the up because I just used the mic portion when playing WoW and route the other sound through the computer speakers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users