Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adjusting BIOS after installing new graphics

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tomncar

tomncar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

Hi, I hope someone could advise me.
A friend (of a friend who should know what he's doing ) recently installed a grahics card for me (Radeon HD6670 PCI Express 2.1 bus (2gb GDDR3)
I did so as I was experiencing distortion, when viewing Vids via HDMI on my TV (tried various media players VLC , classic, Divx etc) Also when scrolling up and down on webpages an annoying horizontal distorted line about 1/4 thick ,making it diffcult to read fluently (if that makes sense :)
I suspect that whats happening is that my PC is still using the onboard graphics (64M) on my Gigabyte (GA-H61M-S2PV)

I normally wouldn't go near the BIOS however I have had a look;
"Init display First" is set to Auto with there being options to set to IGFX, PEG or PCI ......
"Internal Graphics is set to Auto with options Auto, Enable or Disable N.B. on the sidebar it says 'keep IGD enabled based on the setup options'

My questions are : Is it SAFE for me to change the settings ie disable IGD
And what I should I change the Init Display to (PEG or PCI) if indeed I should change them at all

I have to say I'm itching to just go ahead as it all seems so obvious but don't want to end up having a non functioning at all PC, or am I just being too cautious.

Additional info:

he used the install disc and I'm 99% sure he checked for Driver updates as well.
When I looked in display adapter - its AMD Radeon HD6670 says this device is working properly, Driver date 11/june/2012 and there's an option to disable the driver
So I know it says its working ok but why are my display distortion "Exactly" like they were before new grahics? Thats why I thought BIOS as over the years I've read bits and bobs that thats what you should look at

Intel Pentium CPU G870@3.10GHz
4GB RAM
64-bit Operating system

Windows 7 Ultimate
Service pack 1

I'm using a Samsung 21" LED monitor with a VGA connection and the HDMI to the Samsung 32" and have the problem I've described on original post on both displays.
I have the scrolling problem when I'm just using the monitor itself and when I use TV HDMI for browsing.

I did notice last night that when I'm using 'extend'( i.e. web on monitor/vid on TV) option with dual display (windows key+P) the video's distort when there's lots of movement and panning across, but when I use the 'duplicate' (whats on monitor is same as TV) option it's actually ok with the vids; but still have the niggling scroll when I'm trying to read web pages.
So my reasoning is duplicate doesn't need much graphics power but extend ie web browsing on monitor and putting films on for the wife and 5 yr old boy does.

Would it harm to try the BIOS change? Thoughts?
Cheers Tom and a big thanks to all who've waded through all of the above

Edited by tomncar, 04 December 2013 - 08:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

I was only thinking of the same or working resolution on both video outputs to monitor since its a VGA (VGA to DVI?) and HDMI connection.

Tekken

#3 tomncar

tomncar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

I was only thinking of the same or working resolution on both video outputs to monitor since its a VGA (VGA to DVI?) and HDMI connection.

Sorry not sure what you mean. I have vga out to vga in on monitor & HDMI out to HDMI in on the TV but thanks for thinking about it ..Tom

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

I am curious what the model numbers are on the Samsung 21" LED monitor and the Samsung 32" TVs?

I want to look for a manual to those two units and see what the menu settings are for each one. I might find an answer to your problem as to how your video resolution is displayed on those screens.

After that, I'll look into your computers BIOS settings and see if I can offer you the best option to try.

I have helped others who like to connect their laptops up to their HDTVs and found settings in the actual television its self made the real difference. 

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 December 2013 - 01:50 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 tomncar

tomncar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

Hi Bruce, That's very kind of you . Thanks. :)

I had wondered about that , not so much the monitor now as I suddenly wondered if Firefox could be the problem;

So I did a search and sure enough there were a few folk with the same problem

when scrolling using 'smooth scroll'  .

So I've disabled the 'hardware acceleration' in FF (25.0.1) so that there's none of that 'rippling effect lag' as someone described it ,

though to my eyes, a bit choppy but can live with it, I suppose , sheesh, you'd think they could get something as simple as reading a webpage right ?

Then again, maybe there is something to adjust in monitor settings

Anyway beginning to rant, sorry.

The TV is a : UE32EH5000  - there are 2 HDMI : 1 is just HDMI 2 and the other HDMI/DVI - I've tried them both

The Monitor: S22C300H

Regards , Tom

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

Is this distortion like screen tearing that only appears when scrolling?

What refresh rate is it set to and what ones are available in the driver?  If it is set to 60Hz, can it be set to 75Hz or 59Hz for example?  Try them and see if there's any improvement.  You might also be able to enable vsync or wait for vertical refresh in the graphics driver.  On mine I can go to 3D settings in CCC set vsync to always on, although I'm not entirely sure if this has any effect outside of 3D applications.  I can't find any settings for 2D unfortunately.

If you are using a discrete graphics card you can safely disable the integrated graphics.  I doubt this will do much for the affect you are seeing though but it'll free up some resources.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 tomncar

tomncar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

Hi & thanks for the replies.

Turns out they were two separate issues :

The 'scrolling screen ripple lag' was a known issue and have found the solution with a Firefox add-on called:

'Yet another smooth scrolling' :)

Bruce , you were right about the TV setting - I've you to thank as you got me thinking, so had a look and found:

'LED Motion plus' setting turned it on and hey presto, bob's your uncle, bullseye :guitar:  - Gad I'm so chuffed.

BTW did disable the IGD and set init display to PEG with no difference and probably didn't need to change the

graphics card in the 1st place but hey ho I'm happy it's all working

Thanks again for the replies

Cheers Tom :bananas:

Edit: Actually web pages seem to be loading a lot faster so maybe the BIOS did  need changing.

Edited by tomncar, 07 December 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

Bruce , you were right about the TV setting - I've you to thank as you got me thinking, so had a look and found:
'LED Motion plus' setting turned it on and hey presto, bob's your uncle, bullseye :guitar:  - Gad I'm so chuffed.

Edit: Actually web pages seem to be loading a lot faster so maybe the BIOS did  need changing.

I figured you'd find that changing the video settings of the HDTV would resolve part of the problem and the computer's BIOS menus contained the other piece of the puzzle.

Glad to hear that things are working as expected. :thumbup2: 

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 December 2013 - 03:43 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users