Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After removing Dodgy Toolbars, Windows Update fails

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 morayxp

morayxp

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

I should have posted earlier - I have tried but made the setup worse.

I am trying to sort out an out of date Windows XP on an Acer D250 I wanted to pass on to the children.

It had got some dodgy toolbars loading, so ran Malawarebytes Anti-Malware (up to date), and it removed 20-odd items.

Meanwhile XP automatically updated (quite a few updates).  And I installed Microsoft Essentials, and ran that through too.

Now Windows Update would not run - it just hung with the moving bar.

So ran SFC /scannow - if found some errors, which it couldn't fix, as it's a netbook without a CD.

Changed the entry in CurrentVersion\SetUp\SourcePath to C:\ [from C:\windows\system32]

Ran SFC /scannow again, and it ran through (and was rebooted).

Now Windows update (after a wait) states it needs to download "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool", which fails with 0x80246008, and all the previous updates are all marked as failed (same error).

And Essentials gives error 0x80240022, unable to update defintions.

The internet connection works fine otherwise.

I did try the update 'FixIt' but it failed on three counts (registration missing and 2 of installing recent updates).

Another reboot,and still the same problem.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 morayxp

morayxp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

For future viewers, I believe I have a solution, after trying a few ineffective ideas.

I manually downloaded WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-ENU.exe from Microsoft Donwload Centre and installed that.

Then I followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916251, as Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) was non-existant (viewed in services.msc), the relevant file was missing, and so were the registry entries.

The key actions (on the cmd prompt) were:

To recover the file from i386:  %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\qmgr.inf

To set the registry information: Reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters /v ServiceDll /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %windir%\System32\qmgr.dll

And to start/set to auto: services.msc.

Updates are now streaming through!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users