Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows AND H/W drivers leaving Windows rdy 4 setup by first user

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AS5 HEAD

AS5 HEAD

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but I'm hopeful.

What I hope to achieve is a fresh installation of Win 7, and all of the necessary hardware drivers for any particular model of laptop, leaving the computer completely ready for a new user.  When the new user first turns the machine on it should state that "Setup is preparing the computer for first use" and then prompt the new user for setup information.  In other words I want to install Windows and the drivers and then leave the computer without an established user profile or other setup information (ie - keyboard layout, time zone, etc.).

Does anyone around here have any idea how I would go about accomplishing this?  Thanks so much in advance!  :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

How many models are we talking about?

I'd recommend searching windows 7 unattended install to start with.  You will need to included all of the necessary drivers for all of the machines you want to use this on, hence the question of how many.  I will tell you that 10 machines or so will require at least 15GB of space for the install.  The more machines the more space you will need to store the install.

#3 jcta79

jcta79

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

what you are talking about is an unattended install. I asked a similar question about that. I would research about creating an answer file. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/124368/how-to-create-a-customized-windows-7-installation-disc-with-integrated-updates/

this is a link I found that may help. I hope this helps

#4 AS5 HEAD

AS5 HEAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

How many models are we talking about?

I'd recommend searching windows 7 unattended install to start with.  You will need to included all of the necessary drivers for all of the machines you want to use this on, hence the question of how many.  I will tell you that 10 machines or so will require at least 15GB of space for the install.  The more machines the more space you will need to store the install.

Um...  Every model with unique hardware manufactured since 2008.  :-/

#5 AS5 HEAD

AS5 HEAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Is there, perhaps a way to install Windows, then connect the HDD to a bench computer and inject the files and necessary registry entries?  My impression is that the Unattended Install technique is FAR too narrow for my EXTREMELY broad needs.  I need something more dynamic.

Edited by AS5 HEAD, 04 December 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#6 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

Boot Windows to Audit Mode or OOBE and the sysprep tool might be of interest to you ... you have a lot of reading to do

I would start here
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722413(v=ws.10).aspx

Specifically this part is going to be of interest to you
-For attended installations, from Windows Welcome screen, press SHIFT+CTRL+F3

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824920.aspx

Edited by AngryRaisin, 04 December 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#7 AS5 HEAD

AS5 HEAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

Lots of reading!!  Yes!  Yes!  That's what I'm looking for!  Where else can I read about it!  :-D

THANK YOU!  :-)

Edited by AS5 HEAD, 05 December 2013 - 07:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users