Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

Have any other folks experianced issues with Norton and Win8, a close buddy has his machine in the shop.  The shop told him Norton was causing his problem, they had to hack into the machine to fix the problem.  The shop said it was an issue on some OEM machines, they were very familiar with the issue.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

Norton has been known for years to cause issues on a variety of systems from system slow downs to inability to use the internet all together.

#3 teatrap

teatrap

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

I've heard a lot of bad stuff about Norton.... And McAffe, not sure why they come as standard on so many computers. 

Operating system_Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (9600)
CPU_Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Motherboard_Hewlett-Packard (1966)
RAM_12063mb
Hard Drive_931gb (HGST HTS541010A9E680)
Graphics card_Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Sound card_IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

I have an issue with McAfee on on of my lap tops, I have tried all available methods to remove it to no avail.  I have stripped and reloaded it twice both times followed the removal process carfully, I am now going to try it again!!!

#5 teatrap

teatrap

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

Control Panel > Uninstall often doesn't work... you may need to download a Mcaffe removal tool... awful aren't they!

This might work - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/McAfee-Consumer-Product-Removal-Tool.shtml

RAM_12063mb

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

MCPR.exe was used the first time after control panel as discribed on the McAfee site, second time around I tried just the tool with even more issues.  Things of this nature should be looked into by legal people!

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

Have you tried right clicking on MCPR.exe and selecting Run As then use Administrator

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

Not yet but will try it later!  Thanks!

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

Windows Windows Vista and later you need to do that to perform some administrative actions like removing anti-malware tools like McAfee or Norton.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

Interesting developement, the machine is an Acer Aspire One mini with an SSD.  I have been using the factory XP restore disks, I have a copy of XP that was used on a no defunct machine, I just tried to load it and got an odd message.  PXE-MOF exit CD, wonder why it is being blocked from loading.

EDIT:  Ok I let the system load, oddly enough the XP load applet apeared with a message.

Setup cannot continue because upgrade functionality is disabled and your copy of XP only allows upgrades.  New one on me!

MY BAD just looked it is an upgrade disk I used to bump 98, will have to buy a full XP disk.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 04 December 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#11 masx

masx

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

My tech guy and four others said, Get Norton out of there!  I did and have AVG Free one which I have used for years and trust.

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

I've heard a lot of bad stuff about Norton.... And McAffe, not sure why they come as standard on so many computers. 

Easy, they pay the OEMs to install their software.  Normally you get a "starter" edition, good for 90 days to a year.  After that they want the premium price and the person who is buying a manufactured PC isn't normally savvy enough to install anything else and either let it lapse or pays the "ransom".  I haven't used either in ages, over a decade.

#13 teatrap

teatrap

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

Easy, they pay the OEMs to install their software.  Normally you get a "starter" edition, good for 90 days to a year.  After that they want the premium price and the person who is buying a manufactured PC isn't normally savvy enough to install anything else and either let it lapse or pays the "ransom".  I haven't used either in ages, over a decade.

Ha yes... If they spent the money on product instead they might actually be half useful! 

RAM_12063mb

#14 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

I have an issue with McAfee on on of my lap tops, I have tried all available methods to remove it to no avail.  I have stripped and reloaded it twice both times followed the removal process carfully, I am now going to try it again!!!

I found that the Avast removal tool will remove about anything. Used it to remove programs that just would not go away. I also use Revo Uninstaller, it will help remove those registry items that seem to get left behind. Hope this helps.

#15 masx

masx

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

I had Norton on my new Toshiba with Windows 8 then 8.1. Causing problems. FOUR different Tech guys told me to dump it.

When you UNinstall it, you have to look for TWO more Norton programs preinstalled and get rid of them too!

Much better after getting it OUT.

You could download FREE, a program from cd/net or z/net called CCleaner it cleaned my registry of all the residue left over from Norton.

Good Luck.

Using AVG free as I have for years without problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users