Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Not Startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SimiRed

SimiRed

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

Help :(

I have a Dell Inspirion N5010 running windows 7

It will not load at all.  It gets to the "starting windows" and just hangs. I don't even see the windows logo coming up.  Just the words of "starting windows"

I do have a recovery disk, but it's not loading either.  When I log into a command prompt, it has a letter x:\ windows\system32  I changed the boot options to cd/dvd drive also.

At the top of the System Recovery options screen it does say "Operating System: Windows 7 on (C:) OS

Is it not seeing the operating system?  I'm not sure what to do next.

Tried the Startup Repair and reset the BIOS too.

Ideas?  Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

First of all, the x:\windows etc is perfectly normal - when you boot from a repair or install disc the computer loads the necessary files into temporary memory, calls this a drive and names it 'x'.

I do have a recovery disk, but it's not loading either.

If this is a recovery disc, as opposed to a repair disc I would not use it as a first step because it will restore your computer to the state it was when it left the factory. If you have all your data backed up to the time when this problem started, OK, but you probably don't have it all ! And using a recovery disc will wipe it all out.

Have you tried to get the computer to run in 'Safe mode' ?  To do this, switch on the computer, and at the very first screen - the one with 'Dell' all over it - press the 'F8' key several times ( On some Dells it is 'F12', but the first screen will tell you which key to press for 'Start up menu' ). If you are too slow, don't worry. When the computer hangs again, just press and hold the 'Power on' button until it shuts down, give it a few seconds and try again.

This will bring you to a black screen with white text and a range of options. The one you want is down towards the bottom - 'Start Windows in last good configuration'. Use the up and down arrows to select this, then press 'Enter'. The computer should now have a think to itself, and with any luck Windows will start up and run normally.

If it hangs again, shut it down as before and repeat the process until you get to the white on black choices screen. This time, choose 'Start Windows repair' and again press 'Enter'. The screen will go blank and Windows will try to repair itself. This is a 50 / 50 operation. If it works, great - you have your computer back.

If it doesn't work, you will come to a screen which says 'Repair failed, do you wish to try advanced options'. Select 'Yes', and at the next screen select 'Restore Windows to an earlier point in time' ( I think that's the wording, I haven't got a broken computer to hand ! ). This will produce another screen which will have a restore point and date on it, click on 'Next' or 'Continue' and let it do its thing and it will probably start up and run normally for you.

If it doesn't, post back here and we will try to think of your next best step.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users