Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choppy System

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 revanthb3000

revanthb3000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

Hey,

This is about my laptop. It's a Dell Studio 1747 running Windows 7 & Ubuntu (Wubi)

About 2 weeks ago, my laptop started to "slow down" all of a sudden. 
1) Any action/application takes more time then usual. For example, opening a web browser, a text processor or even a right click. However, its faster the second time around (I'm guessing that's because it's been cached ?)
2) Applications are choppy. For example : After opening firefox, going to any url would cause firefox to freeze for a second and then load. It'll continue to freeze intermittently until the web page is completely loaded. Chrome DOESN'T seem to give much of a problem though. It is pretty smooth (although not as good as it should be)
3) Other applications are pretty much the same. Games are almost unplayable (that's expected). Audio and video applications are okay though. A bit slow starting up but they're smooth.
4) Even the transition from the splash screen to the boot select screen takes more time than usual. It gets stuck for a few seconds.

From what I understand, it doesn't seem to be a virus/security issue since the problem is present in both Windows/Ubuntu. It does seem like some hardware device is beginning to malfunction. I don't know what exactly though. The Dell Diagnostics didn't report any errors.

I've had a hard disk issue before and the system was pretty slow back then too although its better now (a difference is that I have 75% free now compared to 18% back then). Could this be a hard disk problem ? Or is there something else that's causing this ?

Thanks in advance,
RB.

Edited by revanthb3000, 04 December 2013 - 08:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Techonline

Techonline

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hello Revan  , 

It seems , Your Computer is infected . but Not to Worry. I will help you to solve this Problem . 

1. Please check Event Viewer for any Recent Critical Errors , Check Application and System Logs 

2. Run checkDisk Once by type chkdsk /f in Elevated Administrator command prompt. 

3. Run Malware Bytes For any Infections 

4. Run Tdss Killer for Rootkit infections 

5. Run JRT for Junkware removal 

6. Run Adw cleaner - Remove Adwaress 

7. Increase your Virutal Memory size 

8. Run this command in Cmd Prompt sfc /scannow

9.  Remove unwanted programs 

10. Remove unwanted Startups and Services Through Autoruns or Msconfig 

11. Run Ccleaner or ATF cleaner to remove temp files and Prefetch 

12. Finally Yur Computer will be like a New one. 

Thanks 

RBM

#3 revanthb3000

revanthb3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

I'm sorry. But my computer is NOT INFECTED.

Did you read the part about the whole thing being slow in both Windows AND Ubuntu ?

I feel its a hard disk issue. I run programs which are pretty slow for I/O operations but perform normally while computing stuff (in memory).

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

I'd recommend backing up any important data before proceeding.  Yes, it could be a hard drive issue.  Does your laptop have a diagnostic that you can run to test the hard drive.  You can normally access it from the BIOS or you will see a message on boot for what key to press.

#5 revanthb3000

revanthb3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

I've got my data backed up. No worries there. Nope, my laptop doesn't have a hard disk diagnostic test.

How do I know for sure that the Hard disk is the root of the problem ?

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,360 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

Take a look at the Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools thread pinned to the top of this forum for diagnostic tools.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

You can use the SeaTools For DOS utility on any hard drive.  Please read/follow the instructions and do not try anything other than the long/extended/generic diagnostic.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

#8 Techonline

Techonline

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hey 

Iam Sorry About that, Also iam recommended you to Run checkdisk 

Regards

Rbm