Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Overheating?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Swanheart

Swanheart

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:09 AM

My laptop seems to overheat very easily, even though I have it on a cooling base, and have Speed Fan monitoring the temperature. Last night it overheated when Speed Fan was reading 35, and it took all night to cool down. It's stayed on at 35 before, so I'm rather confused.

Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:46 AM

Have you tried blowing canned air through the cooling ports? There should be air intake and exhaust ports and they may be getting clogged with dust and debris. Don't use an air compressor, just the canned stuff.

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

A temp of 35C is very cool in the PC world. The CPU temp should stay below 60C at all times. What makes you think that it is overheating ?

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

Maybe Speedfan isn't reporting accurately.

#5 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

pascor22234: It's been repeatedly shutting down, and I have to wait hours for it to cool down before I can restart it and keep it on longer than 5 minutes. It ran fine on 35 before, and I only had this problem once before. I also dusted it, and there doesn't appear to be anything obstructing airflow.

I had a hard time being clear in my beginning post; I was trying to get the basics typed out before it shut itself down again. I'm on another computer at the moment.

I'm on a Toshiba Satellite A70, Win XP Professional.

Edited by Swanheart, 04 May 2006 - 03:40 PM.

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:21 PM

You can try reading the temps with Everest Home. See if they agree with Speedfan. Its almost impossible for an air cooled running CPU to be at 35C.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:22 PM

Its almost impossible for an air cooled running CPU to be at 35C.

My AMD 64 3000+ is currently running at 27C (80F).

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:55 PM

You can try reading the temps with Everest Home. See if they agree with Speedfan. Its almost impossible for an air cooled running CPU to be at 35C.

Everest Home, I believe, no longer exists, but I haven't checked recently. Perhaps you can still get it. Good product, but only paid version now. I got the home version and it's very nice.
Quietman7 in this thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/51646/computer-temp/ has a list of alternatives.

BTW I have a Toshiba laptop. Normally runs about 33-39 degrees C. I read someplace that
1. Pentium4 has its own protection and will shut off
2. the upper limit is 50 some degrees C

I can't imagine blowing any air into there would help. Doesn't that push the dust IN ?

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:02 PM

You can download Everest version 1.51, the last full featured freeware version of Everest Home at oldversion.com.

#10 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:22 AM

Thanks, I'll check out Everest provided I can keep the laptop on long enough.

The problem with my cooling base is that it's made for a smaller laptop. Mine is 15.4" wide, and it's hard to make it sit properly. I've been trying to adjust it so the air is blowing on the right side, which is where it gets the warmest.

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:55 AM

You can download Everest version 1.51, the last full featured freeware version of Everest Home at oldversion.com.

I'm glad to see it back. I couldn't connect to it for a while.

#12 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:55 AM

Sorry I hadn't updated this post in a while. I've sent my laptop to Toshiba for repairs, and I'm hoping that goes well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users