Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

deleted windows 8.1 partition & wont boot!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stevelav

stevelav

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

I will be most grateful if anyone can help -

Messing about deleting empty partitions on my Samsung Ativ 700t and I think I deleted an important partition. 

Foolishly I thought it would only need the main C: one as that said it had all the boot files and system etc so I deleted the rest - there was 6 or 7 apparently empty recovery partitions I wiped.

.... But now it will not boot.

I have booted into my recovery USB I made which I thought would fix any probs but 
Refresh says the drive is locked
Reset says a required partition is missing
Re-image cannot find a system image
Startup repair could not repair my PC

I went into diskpart and there is just one partition now
Partition 1.     Type primary.        Size 58GB.     Offset 929Mb

I have a feeling it has (or had) some new complicated setup that used extra partitions which it had no more.

I also realise now that it had no coa windows key externally so I can't just reinstall and also I think it used some info in other partitions so I could access Samsung software.

Oh dear.  Can anyone help me fix this or at least explain what it is I've messed up as I thought I only needed my main partition with boot and system files

Thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:18 AM

You have deleted all of the factory recovery software and images.factory image a 499mb (Recovery Partition) , BOOT PARTITION 300mb (EFI System Partition) , C: (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) , Recovery Software 14gb (Recovery Partition) and a 1gb (Recovery Partition) Your computer wont boot because the EFI System partition was deleted.   contact_support1.jpgSamsung support and order new recovery media.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 04 December 2013 - 01:18 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 stevelav

stevelav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

Thank you very much.

I imagine that it the missing small efi partition which is preventing boot.

In future can I save the other partitions on an external HDD to create space and I do wonder why it needs so many partitions.

On my older 700t slate on windows 8.1 I deleted all but 2 partitions which were clearly labeled as being necessary!

#4 stevelav

stevelav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:12 AM

I think i mean -

In future can I save the 499mb factory image to my external HDD, create a recovery USB and then delete everything but the EFI partition and main C: partition?

(I actually also had another couple of partitions left over from goodness knows what which is why I went delete happy and not having seen an efi partition before thought it was more junk)

Thanks again!

#5 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:14 AM

I you have access to another internet connected computer, you could try downloading an iso for a bootable partition manager cd, burning it to cd-rom, booting the Samsung with it and attempting to recover the deleted partitions. One such free product can be obtained here - http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html .

#6 stevelav

stevelav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:25 AM

Can I use partition wizard on a USB stick rather than CD ROM?

#7 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:53 AM

Yes, you can.  You will need to use something like YUMI - http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ - to create the bootable USB stick.

#8 stevelav

stevelav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:30 AM

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately I could not get partition wizard to work, poss because I only have touchscreen at the moment have to use the vol and home buttons to select things.

I rang Samsung and was a bit vague saying the efi partition had got corrupted and I could not boot. Apparently they do not send out recovery discs so they are collecting it from me to fix.

So hopefully that will be that!

Can anyone advise me as to the safest way I can backup externally and delete all those recovery partitions in the future?

Obviously I won't delete the efi partition again!
But is it safe to delete all the recovery partitions and back up to my external HDD.

So can I have an external backup on HDD and internal restore points in windows which I can restore to from a USB recovery and then delete everything except the efi and main partitions?
Or should I just leave my HDD alone and buy micro SD extra storage.
Its v confusing as I don't know what all those extra partitions are for and Samsung won't be happy if I break it again!
Ta

#9 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:59 AM

I would be inclined to leave the partitions on the internal SSD alone and use a Micro SD for additional storage.  You can use sRecovery to create backups on an external HDD but not delete anything from the SSD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users