Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Unwanted Parts In A Dvd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:20 AM

i have a DVD which is a genuine purchased from a store. It has a part i want to remove (i can't skip it as it is in the middle of the chapter and i want most of the chapter. Is there a way of doing this? Preferably at no cost but a download.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:22 AM

By the way, i would like to keep the chapters if i can and back to dvd (not VCD).

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:29 AM

Hello,

First of all, it will greatly depend on the type of Movie you are dealing with. If it is a new release mainstream type of movie, that has the new Sony encryption, it could take several different programs to make your backup.

If it is not, and it is just a normal DVD with no fancy encoding than this task can be accomplished quite easy.

I suggest downloading three programs, but you only need to install two at first, and the third if you have any difficulties.

DVD Shrink

DVD Decrypter

DVD FabDecrypter

The first two are the ones I will focus on. Download and install the first two on the list (DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter), restart your PC, that way your RAM will be freed up, helping the encoding process.

Start up DVD Shrink, and put your DVD that you wish to back up into your drive.{ if you have a DVD/CD-RW combo as well as a DVD Burner, place your DVD into the combo drive, and the disk you are backing up to into the Burner.

On the left top of the DVD shrink UI, there is a button labled Open Disk, click it, select the drive your DVD is in and click OK.

You should now see the movie being anylized, wait till it's done and depending on the size of the film you have two options.

If the film will fit onto a 4.7GB disk with no problem, then your good to go, but if it is larger, then you will either have to sacrifice quality, or start removing unused features such as other languages,subtitles, 5.1 stereo, and so on.

Lets assume that it will fit on a disk, Click the Re-Author tab, and under DVD Browser you should see a list off files. Drag and Drop everything you want to burn to your backup into the left side under the DVD Compilation heading.

Once that is done, you need to locate the section you want to get rid of. in the preview window at the bottom, move the slider to the desired frame and click Set Start/End Frames. you will see chapter settings and more accurate frame choosers, now just edit as desired, and click OK.

When you have the video where you like it, click Backup, which will prompt you to some options. If you don't have Nero, use the other program you installed (DVD Decrypter) to burn your new backup, it works very well.

Also, take these settings into consideration:
if your DVD needs to be compressed to fit onto the new DVD, this is what I go by as far as the AEC settings....90%-100% Max Sharp
80%-90% Default Sharp
65%-80% Smooth
<65% Max Smooth

You will see these settings before the encoding process begins.

That is how to edit a DVD in a nutshell, pretty quickly as well. If this is not what you had in mind I apologize, but this is how I edit and back up my movies.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:01 PM

I know of DVD Shrink as i use it to backup DVD's i wanted to delete small partion i find a waste of filming. Thank you for your help i will get into it and have a go. If find find it's pretty straight forward i may even pass this to my uncle who has DVD's he wants to the same as i am. Thanks.

Izzy.

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:15 PM

your idea is great if you just want the main movie by taking away the menues etc. But I can't delete like a small dection as it's one 1hr 45 min file. date of the disc is 2003.

#6 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:28 AM

Hello,

I must apologize for my response, I had the best of intentions but somehow I neglected to describe how to edit parts other than the beginning and ending credits. I got in a hurry, and left out a few specific steps to accomplish this goal. The joy of raising children......lol

NOTE: In this explanation, the final product will hesitate very briefly at the point in the movie that you have cut out. As far as I know, all DVD players continue play from one title to the next using this method. There are ways to take out the slight delay, but it takes another program and little editing knowledge, because you have to combine the .ISO files into one. That is another tutorial, in which I will write soon to add to my web site.

This delay does not bug me at all. It lasts about a second, and does not hinder the quality of the backup what so ever. Most would agree with me, but if your backup is for a special purpose, and needs to be flawless, then this process will have another step before the creation of the actual finished product.

Ok, I will start over.......also, to view larger images just click on them.

1) I suggest downloading three programs, but you only need to install the first two for now, and the third if you have any difficulties.

DVD Shrink

DVD Decrypter

DVD FabDecrypter

2) Download and install the first two on the list (DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter), restart your PC, that way your RAM will be freed up, helping the encoding process.

3) Start up DVD Shrink, and put your DVD that you wish to back up into your drive.{ if you have a DVD/CD-RW combo as well as a DVD Burner, place your DVD into the combo drive, and the disk you are backing up to into the Burner.

4) On the left top of the DVD shrink UI, there is a button labeled Open Disk, click it, select the drive your DVD is in and click OK. You should now see the movie being analyzed, wait till it's done and depending on the size of the film you have two options.

If the film will fit onto a 4.7GB disk with no problem, then your good to go, but if it is larger, then you will either have to sacrifice quality, or start removing unused features such as other languages,subtitles, 5.1 stereo, and so on.

5) Lets assume that it will fit on a disk, Click the Re-Author tab, and under DVD Browser you should see a list off files. Drag and Drop everything you want to burn to your backup into the left side under the DVD Compilation heading.

6) For this example, I will just be dealing with the main movie file, or "Title 1" as DVD Shrink calls it. If you add more than one title, just repeat the steps as needed.

Once "Title 1" (the main movie without menus or special features) has been added in the DVD Compilation panel at left, you need to immediately make two copies of it. (See Fig1) As shown in fig1, you just right-click Title 1 and choose Copy.

Posted Image

7) Then right-click an empty space below Title 1 and choose Paste. Repeat as needed, but for one edit I recommend making two copies. (See Fig2)

Posted Image

8) Time to start the edit, highlight Title 1 (2) by single clicking it, then click the Set Start/End Frames button. (Fig 3)

Posted Image

9) In the lower slide editor, click and hold the slider, and move it to the right until you are fairly close to the part you want to cut. (make sure preview is enabled)
Use the arrow buttons to get the exact placement in the frame just before the part you want cut.

The upper slide editor doesn't need to be moved unless you want to cut the beginning credits or something like that.

Click OK and you will notice the file size in the DVD Compilation panel will have gotten smaller, which is expected.

10) Now single-click Title 1 (3) to highlight it, and click the Set Start/End Frames button.

11) This time, you will be editing the upper slide editor. Move it to the right until you find the part you want to cut. Use the arrow buttons to move to the frame directly after the the part you want cut.

The lower slide editor doesn't need to be moved unless you want to cut out the end credits or something like that.

Click OK and you will notice the file size in the DVD Compilation panel will have gotten smaller, which is expected. You should now have two modified files, and the original in the panel.

12) If you are satisfied with the changes, you can now delete the Title 1 original file by highlighting it, and clicking the Erase button.

13) With just the two modified files left in the DVD Compilation panel, click either one to highlight it. Now push and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard, and single click the unhighlighted title, which will make it highlighted as well as keeping the other title highlighted. (See Fig4)

Posted Image

Now Click Backup! (also see fig4)

14) You will be prompted for instruction related to burning the new file. (See Fig 5) Adjust your settings as shown in Fig5, and push OK.

Posted Image

It will now join the two files into one, and when it is done, DVD Decrypter will automatically open.

Set the Verify, and burn speed as shown in Fig 6 for optimal results. It takes about a minute longer to use these settings, as apposed to leaving the defaults, but results in a superior end product. You will notice that in Fig 6 near the top shows the C:\YOUR_FILE.ISO and the proper drive to set as the destination should be your DVD Burner.

Posted Image

Now click the Write button, and in about 7 - 10 minutes you should have a backup of your original DVD minus what you left out.

/***************************************
***************************************/

I hope this fills in the gaps I left out in my earlier post.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 04:22 PM

thanks for that i'm pretty sure i can follow you with all that i'll have another go with.

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:14 AM

H it's Izzy, this topic is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users