Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games minimising on startup, something is stealing focus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cthulhusquid

cthulhusquid

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:01 PM

This is a repost from the Games section so I can get more exposure on the issue.

Mod Edit:  Topic in Games closed, duplicate topic - Hamluis.

This started a few days ago, but for some reason it seems to go on and off randomly, and only affects a few games. For instance, every time I try to run a Doom engine game either through Steam (Dosbox) or Zdoom, it minimizes and wont open back up, or just crashes. This is also affecting Pocket Tanks. I have no idea what the culprit is, but it is either Carmageddon 2, Postal 2, DistributedCom errors, or Bonjour service errors. This started after running Postal 2 or Carmageddon 2, but it might be the others or something else completely. I am using Windows 7 64 bit.

Edited by hamluis, 04 December 2013 - 10:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

Are you running the latest video drivers?

#3 cthulhusquid

cthulhusquid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

Yes.

UPDATE:

Restarting my computer seems to fix the problem, but I want to narrow it down to something so I can avoid it in the future.

Edited by cthulhusquid, 04 December 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

I would be inclined to uninstall the Bonjour software, unless you have a need to print to an Air printer. Even if you use iTunes, you don't need Bonjour, see :

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/45765/do-i-really-need-bonjour-on-windows

Chris Cosgrove

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

That's interesting Steam is now doing dos games. It's like a flashback to the past to back in the day using them IPX/SPX servers to connect to friends across the net. Not sure exactly how steam and dosbox setup works if dosbox is ran from your side or their side. I have dosbox 0.74 stand alone version installed it's the latest version from sourceforge.com maybe you have a older version like maybe 0.73? If you don't have the game and steam offers it then you gotta run it from their side apparently. Dosbox stand alone to run full screen mode you Alt+Enter to toggle windowed to full screen. Running dosbox with Steam might just be a buggy process and may even have permission issues. It was always buggy and difficult to get those dos games running well peer to peer across the WAN as you have to have a server in-between. Another nice VPN like gaming server that supports lots of games you normally wouldn't be able to play peer to peer over WAN is tunngle... http://www.tunngle.net/index.php?l=en

#6 cthulhusquid

cthulhusquid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

I don't think this is a steam issue, as it is an issue with Carmageddon 2. When I run it, it works fine, but when I quit the problem starts happening. The version I have is from Gog.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users