Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive partition too small

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 divchief07

divchief07

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

I have a Sony Viao running XP

The original c hard drive was partitioned too small and is now full and causing several problems.

the specs are:

C drive:  13.8 MB used   144 MB free

D drive 94.9 GB used   71.3 GB used

I have removed as much stuff off the C drive as I felt comfortable with my limited knowledge

Can I somehow repartition this to add more space to the C drive?

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2013 - 11:13 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

Partition Magic was the first thing that came to mind, but it looks like it was bought by Symantec and killed.

EaseUS Partition Master might be a good replacement.

As always, back up before you do this.

#3 Maxey243

Maxey243

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

You can always do it another way, I've never used a program really. Program are probably going to make it easier for you I'm not sure. To do it without a program if you go onto:

Start and then right click on computer and click manage\Disk Management you can always take some off another drive and put in onto another. 

I hope this helps, good luck!

#4 divchief07

divchief07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

I have tried the suggestions and neither worked.  I also found Paragon partition manager which also didn't work.

Any other suggestions?

#5 Maxey243

Maxey243

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hmm... you could always back everything up onto an external HDD and then re-install Windows, or whatever OS you're running if you really need to change them.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

The programs you tried...probably won't work because the C: drive parttion is too full and Windows cannot operate at it should.

Boot into the system...move any data files which are in My Documents, My Videos, My Pictures...from those folders...to the D: partition.  Check the amount of free space on the C: partition.  Whenever you reach the point where you have 15% or more free space on C:, then try increasing the size of C:.

First step would be to decrease the size of the D: partition, leaving the unallocated space at the beginning of D:, between the C: and D: partitions.

Then merely expand the C: partition to include the unallocated space now available.

Louis

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

Don't want to hijack the thread but just wanted to add some info. You can't can't expand the system partition in XP when in Windows like you can in Windows 7. If the programs you tried are running in Windows and not from a boot disk, it will not work. For that you will need something like Gparted Live CD or Minitools Partition Wizard Bootable CD which is a little easier to work with.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Yep one of the options from a bootable CD should do it.  It's important the filesystems are clean and error free before resizing partitions so chkdsk and defrag.  And back up anything that's valuable to you because there is a chance it can go wrong.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users