Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Mode does not work in Windows 7 for certain users

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lonlasher

lonlasher

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

I have a Windows 7 machine on which the XP mode does not remain available. 

I have checked to make sure BIOS allows virtual machines.  It does.

I followed the same install procedures as I have done on other installs of XP mode on Windows 7 machines.

I installed the XP Mode in administrator mode. 

However, when I switch to the specific user's session, XP Mode does not appear in the list of virtual machines. 

When I uninstalled XP Mode from the administrator session and installed it using the specific user's session, it "re-installed" every time I rebooted or logged off.  Anything I had installed inside the XP Mode would be lost.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

What version of Win 7 is installed?

Louis

#3 trippak

trippak

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Sorry for this question, for what do you need XP mode?  :cowboy:

#4 lonlasher

lonlasher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

This specific machine is a test machine in prep for upgrade to W7 everywhere. It has W7 Professional, SP1.

For the next several months we need one specific application that only runs in XP mode because it is 16 bit.  Eventually, we'll upgrade so this 16-bit application is not needed.

#5 lonlasher

lonlasher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

I've found other issues that are funky.  For example, I'll add the "Computer" icon to the desktop.  After I reboot, the icon is no longer there.  If I copy the XP Mode install package from another location to the downloads folder of a specific user, the program disappears after I reboot.

This originally was a Vista machine that is now a Windows 7 system.  I'm beginning to think this particular machine is cursed.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

I'd run a hard drive diagnostic, as a preliminary step to troubleshooting.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users