Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound from right channel of earphones - Any Fixes?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chingoo_92

Chingoo_92

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hi everyone,

As my profile would indicate, I'm new to the forum and have not tried to make friends, and that's for two reasons: I am in urgent need of help and I have very little technical knowhow :P

Anyhow, coming to my concern:

I own a pair of earphones that come with Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-i9195). I have had them for less than 2 months and they have malfunctioned, such that no sound comes out of the right channel of the earphone. None at all; not even when I move the jack around, fiddle with the wire at 90 degrees, blow into the headphone jack, clean the jack, you name it. Hence, I don't believe it is a broken wire issue because I've had those, and I could usually get sound to come back with I fiddled with the wire or the contacts, at least initially, but this time I don't even hear static. I have played with the mono/stereo and sound balance settings on my phone as well.

It could be a water problem; my nieces have a habit of chewing on my stuff, and though this has never (and I mean never) caused problems with my devices, this just might be my bad day. That's why I dried them out in white rice and even used 70% isopropanol to clean it up after, hoping it would dry out, but it didn't change a thing.

The problem is persistent with my computer and the Samsung mobile that comes with it. This problem does not occur with a different pair of earphones.

What gives me hope that it may get up working again is that the right channel contains the control panel of the earphones (the on/off button, and the volume control) which works perfectly fine. I am no electrician in this regard but I believe that means that the wire is functional (to some extent?). The sound that does come (from the left channel) is loud and clear, no puns intended.

I know that the easiest solution (especially after such a hassle) would be to buy a new pair of earphones, but the fact is that these are not my earphones or cellphone. I've borrowed them from someone for a while and I would like to find a way to solve this issue than to buy a new pair, which would reveal to them that I screwed this up (which would...well, screw me up). I can't get a genuine duplicate/original pair of Samsung earphones where I live, I purchased all my electronics abroad and would not be able to get replacements for a while.

In this 'dramatic predicament' I hope I find a helping hand. I'm happy to provide information relevant to this issue. Thanks!

Edited by Chingoo_92, 03 December 2013 - 10:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Since there are no issues with different headphones you can eliminate the jack on the S4.  I'm guessing water damage to the ear bud, but it could also be a hardware failure.  You're not going to fix this, plan on replacing it.  Tell the person you borrowed this from you don't know what happened, but you're willing to replace them and everything should be fine.  Some times things just break and not something that you did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users