Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\Windows\WinSxS\Temp\PendingRenames

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

I recently noticed that there are over 73,000 files in this folder and would like to know if I can safely delete them? As far as I can tell they are all dated around 25 November 2013. I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro with MC x64. If anyone has any insight I sure would like to know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

You should avoid manually deleting any files contained in the C:\Windows\WinSxS folder or any of its subfolders.  This is Microsoft's warning 'Deleting files from the WinSxS folder or deleting the entire WinSxS folder may severely damage your system so that your PC might not boot and make it impossible to update.'

The Temp\PendingRenames subfolder is used by Windows Update to store files temporarily when the existing files are in use by the system and is normally cleared when files are updated during a system restart, but occasionally they do not get deleted and remain in the folder.  Sometimes running Windows Disk Cleanup (see below) will trigger Windows to complete the task.

Tap on the Windows-key if you are not on the start screen.

Type Disk Cleanup and select "Free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files".

Click on the button "Clean up system files". The application restarts and additional cleanup options are available.

Look for the entries "Previous Windows installation(s)" - if you have upgraded from a previous version - and "Windows Update Cleanup".  Select these and any others you want to clean.  It is safe to select all available options.

Note: If you select the above two options you will no longer be able to restore a previous version of Windows or a previous update.

After running Disk Cleanup perform a system restart and then repeat the procedure, restarting again.

Edited by dls62, 03 December 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#3 FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

And just like that over 73,000 useless files are gone! :bounce:  You sir are my hero for the day :bowdown:

If you are ever in town the first round is on me :thumbup2:

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

You're welcome.

#5 Sadhuji

Sadhuji

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

I too had myriad files taking up gaggles of giggabytes.  I use variety of cleaners, though none of them touched this folder.  

Your recommendation seemed to work, dls62, after a reboot.  Thank you!  

#6 GiulioP

GiulioP

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:12 AM

Hi,

I follows the instructions of dls62, but I still have more than 300 Mb in the Pendingrename folder in Winsxs\Temp.

Can I manually delete them?

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:51 PM

I had 13.8 GBs of PendingreNames in the Temp folder. :(

I tried various things to remove them.

Nothing worked.

Then I read that if you go to Programs in Control Panel & open the Add Windows Features & activate the Telnet things & when they are activated just sit there & don't even touch the mouse for 10 minutes or so, the PendingRenames folder will get empty.

I tried it.

It worked. :)

A picture-

screenshot_326.jpg

Why it works this way is beyond me.

It seems to involve invoking TrustedInstaller.--- {Modules Installer in Services}

Good luck if you try it. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users